Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickied_gw

Does anyone old Old Hickory Tannery sofa or chair?

chickieD
10 years ago

I'm a new member but I read here all the time. I hope you can help me. I am getting ready to purchase several pieces of furniture, the most important of which is a sofa or sectional.

I'm in my 40s and I want something nice because I hate buying cheap stuff and then having it not function. I have 3 cats (2 getting older with the occasional bladder and kidney problems) and my family is outsdoorsy and not at all the type to do a lot of fancy entertaining. We have a very small home and live in every room, so this couch is not a show piece but one I am interested in using every day.

Everything I read about sofas says to look for 8 way hand tied and hardwoods, and what I can find about Old Hickory Tannery is that it is considered very good quality. I have seen some reasonable prices on Neiman Marcus (Horchow), but cannot find any discussion anywhere on the Internet where someone actually owns one of these sofas. To me the price is pretty similar to some lesser qualify furniture, and the look is really different; however, I'd like to hear someone's actual experience with this brand.

My other option is Bassett. I own some of their pieces and have been pleased with them for the price. They can customize a sofa for me so another option is to use them for inspiration. The advantage to using them is that they have a designer that can work with me to help me figure out what will work in tiny space and who knows the selection of fabrics.

Comments (23)

• chickieD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know the qualify is better, but I haven't been able to find anyone who actually owns one of their pieces and has written about it. A lot of them look like they are more formal than our lifestyle, and I need to know if these are more for the designer crowd or if they are really liveable pieces.

Even though Bassett doesn't have the same reputation, I'm just not sure if the Old Hickory sofa will suit my lifestyle. I'd rather have a good comfy piece that my family can lounge on and if my cats pee on something I can get easily get a replacement cushion than than a fancy sofa that has a name but maybe isn't as comfortable and doesn't come with the same service relationship with the store.

On the other hand - I really hate buying junk and if for the same price I can get something really cool and fantastic and different - and someone can tell me it really is a usable everyday piece - then I'm all in on the Old Hickory!

p.s. Sorry about the typo in the first post. I tried to edit it but I can't edit the title.

• chickieD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's one that looks comfortable and really interesting, but - black cat friendly??

Here is a link that might be useful: Sofa Option

• chickieD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another link to another one that would fit my space - a little different but seems like it could be a great couch to cuddle on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Old Hickory Sofa

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

Old HickoryTannery produces an excellent product, but it is very costly. They do use solid hardwood frames and an old fashioned 8 way hand tied spring.

They produced for Restoration Hardware prior to 2011 and before RH went overseas. In fact OHT built a new 180,000 square foot factory just to supply RH however when the factory was completed RH pulled out and it almost put Old Hickory OOB. However both companies were able to get through this

I would recommend this product if it is in your budget.

• chickieD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Freethinker.

I'll try another way to phrase my question to see if I can get some new information:

I have a tiny home. In my downstairs I have a dining room and kitchen and a living room. My living room is the only place I have to entertain and it is the only place that my family has to relax and watch t.v.

We don't have a room where we can put really pretty furniture that we only use when company comes; we only have a room where we eat, nap, relax AND entertain company very rarely.

So, is this a good kind of couch for that - is this a sofa you would put in your den?

• chickieD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not all that concerned about getting the sofa in, although any doorway would need to be measured to make sure. Even the largest sofa I can buy is still going to be relatively small. Because of the layout of my living room/den, there is only one wall where it makes sense to have a sofa. A closet door opens into that area, so the maximum length of a sofa is about 90".

The living room is accessible through a small entryway with standard size doors at the home entrance and the room entrance, so things should fit fine. I've moved a ton and seen some much larger sofas go through similar sized doors and halls.

Most sectionals come in sections that are joined together with some kind of fastener after being moved so I'm not all that worried about getting a sectional in. The wall where a chaise or arm would be has a window on it. Anything I would buy for that space has a limit on how tall it would be because of the low window, and the maximum length would be about 90" (including the overlap with the first side), to leave room for media storage furniture on the wall with the tv.

I like the idea of a sectional as I have nowhere to entertain people currently. It would be a comfortable way to sit and talk with a friend. When people come over we either sit outside or at my dining room table with seats that are just regular dining room seats - good for eating but not for relaxing.

The other option is two love seats or a love seat plus a chair with a table at the corner, which I like a lot for the scale of the room, except that when we watch tv my husband, daughter and I need to all face forward. If we do love seats or love seat + chair, we can't all sit together facing forward. This is the more likely way for us to use the room as we do so little entertaining. We are all crowded on our current futon so we do not all watch tv together very often - my daughter will go upstairs and get on her computer if my husband and I are watching a show. A sectional solves the problem by letting the person on the end stretch out comfortably. A deep sofa would also serve this purpose, but then I don't have a place to sit and talk with a visitor where I can look at them, though we could sit on ends of the sofa.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    10 years ago

IMHO, sectionals are not nearly as comfortable as a standard sofa and chair. Because where they butt up, that side of the seat under the cushion is 2 harder edges coming together, so the person sitting their will always lean over into the sofa. Who gets to stretch out who doesnt? Sectional seating arrangements are not nearly as flexible as a sofa/loveseat/chairs. Replacing a sectional means replacing a whole group of seating, verses individual pieces. Professional interior designers loathe sectionals for so many other reasons not mentioned above.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

If someone on this forum tells you that OHT is a great sofa because they have one, that doesn't mean that you will be pleased with it. Buying a piece of furniture, as costly as a sofa, requires sitting in it and seeing if it's a good fit for you. Comparing Basset and Old Tannery sofas is like comparing a Chevy and a Cadillac. Both companies will provide a sofa, both might be comfortable, but there are details that are different. There is certainly a plus to working with a designer that will offer you viable options that will fit your particular situation.

If your family is outdoorsy, and you 'live' in your living room, and you have cats that may have a bladder problems now or in the future, & you don't want to seriously consider a park bench or This End Up Furniture Co. for seating, you might want to consider a sofa solution involving slipcovers or one covered in vinyl upholstery, because manufacturers are not set up to to supply you with replacement fabric covers or leather covers that will match your original sofa. Different dye lots on the fabric/leather, will result in different color on the cushions. And there's no way to get cat pee out of foam cushions.

I'm not kidding about ThisEndUp. I just noticed they are offering replacement "Cushions in a Flash". I don't know of any other company that offers this service, but I know that as a designer, we used to use this furniture when we designed dorms at colleges and this furniture is comfortable and can take a beating.

Here is a link that might be useful: This End Up Furniture Co.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Manbike, you are correct.

So we have 2 manufacturers of sofas that can do this that you and I can name. But not the manufacturers that chickieD was originally interested in.

• Loni Stern
    7 years ago

I have an Old Hickory sofa. I strongly do NOT recommend. It's measurements were SUBSTANTIALLLY smaller than advertised. At first I thought it was just me. But a designer measured the sofa and agreed, calling it "almost miniature ". No one from OHT or Neiman Marcus would even speak to us. Notice that there are NO reviews. We only received dismissive email suggesting that we were stupid for not accepting that a sofa 5 inches shorter than advertised was "standard deviation". The worst.

• jonesstacie67
    6 years ago

I own an enormous Old Hickory Tannery sectional and LOVE everything about it. It is the most comfy piece of furniture I have ever owned. We have four dogs so it is animal friendly. Ours is crocodile embossed leather with 13 goose down cushions. The cushion covers are removeable and machine washable. We love it.

• sollidcabinets
    3 years ago

I do. Don't buy from them. Over 10k worth and every piece is peeling.

• sollidcabinets
    3 years ago

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Was that sold to you as a bonded or bicast leather? I don't ever see genuine top grain leathers peeling like that.

• sollidcabinets
    3 years ago

No...Sold to us as "genuine leather" "lifefime warranty" quotes from Neiman Marcus rep, couple years ago.

Fast forward to month ago. I was told to "contact Old Hickory Tannery" with warranty issues. Got a hold of rep at old hickory after 4 phone attempts. Told to send her pics. She determined we "wore them out"...her words!!

They would be more than happy to replace for $5800.00. She also went on to tell me they "dont advertise a warranty on any of their pieces".

Place is a sham. We bought 10k worth of PLEATHER.

#oldHickoryTannery

#HorribleQuality

#CustomerServiceSucks

• PRO
    The KEEPING ROOM
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Not sure what you have going on there, but I sell about three hundred leather pieces a year and never come across peeling like that. Usually there are only two things that can cause that. 1 ) Something was applied to the leather that caused a severe chemical reaction and the topcoat is stripping off 2 ) This is common to see on bi-cast or bonded leather.

Let's explore what bonded / bi cast "leather" actually is:

When leather upholstery is produced at an upholstery maker they save the hide salvage. Appx 1/3 of the hide is scrap on a build ue to wrinkles, scars, marking, or being on the edges. If they can. they make swatch samples out of the remnants. Otherwise, they all go in the "Bins" which are in the cutting room of factories. Here's a set of "Bins" at Hancock and Moore's factory in Taylorsville NC.

These are sold to a company that goes around to all the leather upholstery makers in an area and bins are picked up every two weeks or so. They are then put into a container and shipped to China for processing. Once they arrive at their destination, they are chemically melted into a leather slurry and bonded to a polypropylene sheet, then embossed with a grain pattern, painted and topcoated. These are then sold as either bonder or bicast leather. There is no benefit of real leather any more as the cellulose structure genuine top grain leather has been destroyed in the melt process. Bonded and Bicast leathers don't have much longevity and tend to "Strip" away like you are seeing in your photos.

Neiman Marcus is a reputable company, I would suggest you start by contacting the Store Manager in person if possible. If these units are only two years old they should go to bat for you, they are the selling agent and have a duty to respond and interact with the manufacturer on your behalf. Find out what you really have for a cover and then what they will do for you. As long as you did not' apply something to the units that would cause that, they should take care of in some form or manner. Good luck

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    3 years ago

I agree. This is not a top grain leather. Where you should be seeing the suede, it looks like a man-made material. I have never known Old Hickory Tannery to upholster using anything other than top grain cowhide. Maybe it was a special deal they worked out with Neiman for some sort of promo.

I know a few leather manufactures that also build for larger box stores under their label not the major brands label. It is not the same product.

Just as say Nike builds shoes for many different stores exclusively. The ones at Walmart are not necessary the same shoe as the ones sold at Nordstrom.

The salesperson probably was unaware that it was not genuine top grain leather. Unless you are shopping at a specialty store most only half understand what they are selling. To many items to keep up with.

I do hope you find a suitable resolve.

• sollidcabinets
    3 years ago

Me too. Thanks for this. Much appreciated.

• Jane Silva
    3 years ago

I would not recommend Old Hickory Tannery. Less than two years of having the couch, little runs started forming. I always had a throw on it so imagine what it would look like if I hadn‘t protected it. It’s so awful and I’m so disappointed. I purchased it from Neiman Marcus and I’m surprised to see they are still selling this couch after knowing its defects.

• Jane Silva
    3 years ago

• Loni Stern
    3 years ago

Agree! I went ahead with sofa purchase after no feedback (also Neiman Marcus) and have regretted it. First, the sofa is for a doll house. Oddly short. Inches shorter than advertised. When contacted by my designer they insisted that the height deviation was within standards. Refused to do anything. Now the leather has come off of buttons and the tufting is popping. This sofa is only decor and gets NO use - maybe someone sits on it 3 times a year. Maybe. Horrid quality. A real shame as the design (if it wasn’t child size) is lovely. Save your money. Avoid Old Hickory Tannery.

• HU-532855958
    2 years ago

Lancer is a nice brand