Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing wood table

Posted by grandma1945 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 19:07

I have a wood dining set I purchased over 30 years ago and stained and finished it with tung oil. Now it needs serious refinishing. What is the best way to do this? Also can I use a waterproof product instead of the tung oil? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing wood table

Chemical stripper, outside
LIGHT sanding
(stain, if desired)
apply clear coat finish

There are many things called "tung oil (finishes)" that are not tung oil, not made from tung oil, and contain no tung oil. Oil (only) finishes by themselves have virtually no water resistance. An excellent choice for a table is Waterlox Original. It's a varnish made from phenolic resin and tung oil. Even their web site plays fast and loose with the tung oil mystique, but at exactly one point they say "it's a varnish."

Real, 100% tung oil is hard to use successfully, expensive, and more protective than the easier to use, cheaper, and more available boiled linseed oil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oil Finishes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here