Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Dining Room Table Marks

Posted by say811 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 18:34

I recently bought a new dining room table. We weren't quite ready for it when it came in so the furniture store held it and when delivered it was quite dusty. I didn't dust off right away (we just built a house and that was pretty low on the priority list). Anyways, my younger sister "drew" in the dust - smiley face, words etc with her finger. Well, when I dusted off - you can still see these drawings! Not if you look directly down, but when the light hits at a certain angle they are still there. I have tried pledge and old english furniture polish and neither really helped. Does anyone know how to get these marks out!!??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Dining Room Table Marks

Mix up some salad oil and about a tablespoon of cigar ashes......rub it on the table....wipe with a clean soft cloth, wipe again with lemon oil or Old English....and the marks should be gone.
Really.....it's an old remedy and it does work.
Linda c

o

Pledge is awful for furniture.... toss the rest away.

I have uses ash and oil with good results.

o

Ladies, you're dating yourselves! Where does one get ashes these days? :)

Kidding of course--I have heard of this method but it's not really a household item for most!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here