Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdwright07_gw

Dining Room Table Protection Options

gdwright07
10 years ago

Hi All,

Just received our dining room set the other week and am scared to death of eating/drinking on it. That said, we're in the market for some sort of protective cover. Our decision to go with glass, a pad, or some other option is largely dependent on the feedback we receive from you. Picture attached...it really is a nice top with a lot of character that I wouldnt want to lose under a pad. Conversely, a glass top would be more cumbersome, expensive, and could potentially damage the table (would need your help verifying this). Anyways, just looking for feedback and feel free to weigh in on reputable custom glass and/or pad fabricators if you've had a good experience. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• erinsean
    10 years ago

Do you want to leave the pads/glass on your table all the time? Pads are quite expensive and you take them off and on when you eat. Glass would be left on the table all the time, I would think. You can put the little felt circles under the glass if you want. Maybe someone else has ideas. Felt back plastic table cloths would protect your table but you would have to use pads under the hot dishes.

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

My opinion enjoy the table. Each little mark on the table will be a memory. I wouldn't buy a niced table like this and hide it under glass or a pad. Ask your retailer how to care for it. Down the road it could always be refinished

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"Conversely, a glass top would be more cumbersome, expensive, and could potentially damage the table (would need your help verifying this). "

Why do you think so?

Cumbersome? It just sits there. You really do not need to move it.
    Expensive? Mine was less than $75.
    Damage? I have had the same sheet of glass on my eat-in kitchen's butcher block table for almost 20 years. The table looks as good as the day we bought it.

On the other hand... the dining room table with the pads? The pads are bulky and need a storage place when not in use; they cost several hundred dollars.

• expert_Irwin
    10 years ago

I would suggest spraying that new, never wet product on it. This will help with liquids that could potentially stain the wood. As far as avoiding scratches and stuff, those things are pretty inevitable when it comes to dining room tables. On the bright side, it is a light colored wood so even small scratches that will occur from silverware and what not, will not be as noticeable as you might think it would be. Scratches on wood tend to blend into the natural grains of the wood.

• GypsyWaterfowl
    10 years ago

If you use a polish be VERY careful what polish you use. Generally, spray-on polishes are not recommended.

I have found glass to be an excellent protector for a wood table top, but glass does take away from the charm of the wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Furniture Care Tips - Furniture Polishes

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I had a piece of glass cut for my desk at my business. I like the way it looks and it makes a great, no worry surface.

• gdwright07
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the very useful feedback. I guess our next question would be, where should we look for a custom made glass top? Thanks

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

I got mine at my LOCAL (not big box) paint and supply store. Any place that does mirrors can cut glass also.

• sloyder
    10 years ago

what about using placemats, and coasters while eating.