Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

What kind of dining table/set is this?

nosoccermom
11 years ago

Could you tell me what kind of table set this is?

I'm a bit stumped that it's only 28 inches high. Are there casters that are missing? Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: another table

Comments (10)

• Fori
    11 years ago

I like that one! Definitely could use some spiffing up but I bet it's particle board free. :)

It's for sure a dining table, but I don't know about the height. It looks old enough to have had casters or just to not be a standardized size. You just have to sit at it and see if it's comfy I guess.

Not sure the chairs are original to the table--table has square legs and chairs don't seem to, but they look good enough together.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any idea what kind of wood that might be? Also, I wouldn't want to use it with these chairs.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Wonderful old oak farm house table....came with casters, would be easy to clean up with some shellac thinner and lacquer thinner....and easy to apply a coat of poly on the top to withstand all you could give it. The chaire no way came with the table....but they sort of work....sort of.
    The problem with tables like that is the apron...makes it hard to pull up to without a fairly low chair....as your legs bump.
    Go see and sit...
    But it's a great old solid table!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ugh, that's what I was worried about. I almost bought a very similar table, actually loved the lower height ---- until my husband, who's 6'4" mentioned that the table would be all mine because his knees don't fit under the apron. The sellers had lost the casters, and I took a pass on the table.
    Where do I get casters? And what kind of casters am I looking for?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Checked with the seller. There's no apron on the extensions, which means that that's where my husband can sit :)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Any hardware store will have casters....ideally that table had old wooden casters....but if you can't find old ones....new will do.
    Go get it!! It's a great table.....can't tell for positive without a good look at the table edge....but I would bet big bucks it's solid oak.

Here is a link that might be useful: casters

• Fori
    11 years ago

And unlike MY table which also has no apron for the leaves, "yours" has the extra legs so it won't wobble with the leaves in. Great legs.

Hey Linda--do tables stay put when they have casters? Furniture tends to migrate in my house and I'm wondering what kind of trouble something that actually has wheels would get into. :P

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just came back from looking at the table. It was nice with pegs etc. , and, yes, solid oak. However, it was kind of wobbly where the corners connect to the legs. If you look closely, you see an angled corner where the legs connect (with a flowery decoration). They had just hammered small nails in there, which stuck out. i don't know how big a deal it would be to fix that. The angled wood piece was certainly not attached properly anymore, but I don't know what function it had with holding the legs in place. On the inside corner, there were big screws for the legs, too.
    Any idea how big a deal it is to fix the corner and the legs?

• lindac
    11 years ago

Tighten the screws.....and reglue those angled pieces...oh yes and remove the nails....they do no good!
    It's a wonderful table!!!!...you ought to be able to get $200 to $250 for the chairs...if you want tos ell....and then have someone fix the table for you.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haven't bought it yet because it was REALLY wobbly and one could look through the corners.