Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samat40

Schnadig furniture

samat40
17 years ago

Has anyone had any experience with Schnadig furniture? The salesman said it was the best value for the money. 8way hand-tied, etc... Appreciate any comments.

Also-- how is Norwalk furniture? Haven't been to a store yet, but I love how you can design your sofa.

Comments (7)

• thewgp
    17 years ago

Hey,
    My wife and I just got a Schnadig Palazzo chaise, 8-legged coffee table and two oval end tables.
    Links:
    Chaise -
    http://www.schnadig.com/viewproduct.asp?product=813&wc=Classic%20Home

Coffee table - http://www.schnadig.com/viewproduct.asp?product=1130&wc=palazzo

Oval end tables -
    http://www.schnadig.com/viewproduct.asp?product=1127&wc=palazzo

They're all nice - she loves the chaise (she picked her own fabrics), and the cushion is well stuffed and supportive. The case goods are made in China, but they're not bad - the only trouble I had was getting the feet to line up in the right orientation facing out on the oval coffee tables, since they screw on. Of course, I assembled the casegoods myself, so you may not have to worry about that if someone else does it for you. ;)

Definitely agree on the value for the money point - we paid about 749 for the chaise, 442 for the 8-legged table, and 232 for the oval tables (each). One thing to keep in mind, though - prices vary dramatically by where you order. We live in Hickory, and we were quoted 1099 for the chaise and 550 for the 8-legged table at the Catawba Furniture Mall, even MORE at the Hickory Furniture Mart.

Hit with sticker shock a bit there, we ended up ordering from Julie at Better Homes Furniture in downtown Hickory - they're right across the street from Lindy's (and owned by the same folks). Their price (749 for the chaise, 442 for the 8-legged table, and 232 for the oval tables (each)) was much better for the same product, same packaging, same service, etc. BTW, they came very well packaged, even compared to other "decent" furniture pieces I've seen packed up).

I'd also like to mention that we did get email quotes from Furnitureland South, Roses, I believe Blacks, and a few other stores. Most were closer to the Catawba Furniture Mall pricing than to Better Homes' - Furnitureland South came out the best, though, and they deal with a lot of out of state stuff from what I've read on this board, so you might want to look there if you're phone ordering. Schnadig's website is great - lets you see the items by collection with ease, so you can almost certainly find what you're looking for there then go to pick out fabrics prior to ordering.

In sum, based on our experiences so far, we'd highly recommend Schnadig if you're looking for a value with quality approach. Best wishes in your furniture search!

• bob_smith
    17 years ago

I have owned Schnadig for about 8 years and we love it. Great styles and great quality. They do use veneers on some tops so be careful to use coasters.

• cindyloowoo
    17 years ago

We purchased a Schnadig sofa, loveseat and chair in 1996 from JC Penny. It held up well for about 5 - 6 years then the piping started to fray and the corners of the cushions started to rip. The material was a cotton duck. I replaced the piping and we continued to use the pieces until recently (so in all we got 10 years of service out of them). I think if we would have chosen a more durable fabric they would have lasted longer. The frame and cushions are still in good shape and I intend to slipcover them for our basement. I don't think ours was 8 way hand tied, but I didn't know enough then to ask about construction. Those were the days when we sat on it and thought it was the most comfortable thing in the store so we bought it. Ignorance is bliss - sometimes I think about things like this way to much for my own peace of mind.

Funny that you asked about Norwalk too. I posted questions about Norwalk a few months ago and got quite a few responses. Do a search in the furniture forum on Norwalk and you will find it. I decided not to buy Norwalk, but chose C.R. Laine instead and ordered through Rose Furniture. The prices were comparable and the C.R. Laine was much nicer quality.

Cindy

• ALEXUSINC_SYMPATICO_CA
    13 years ago

wE PURCHASED A SOFA AND CHAIRS IN nOVEMBER 2010 AND STILL DO NOT HAVE THEM. CUSTOMER SERVICE IS NO HELP. LOTS OF EXCUSES

• CURTLAURA MANSHIP
    3 years ago

My wife and I bought two identical sofas at $3,000 each for our living room back in 1999 and we still have both. The cushions became almost unusable due to the stuffing, with some wear on the corduroy, and there is no comfort left. BUT, the rest of the sofas look just like brand new after all this time!! The cushions are a forest / moss green colored corduroy with brown leather piping. Nice presentation but not very comfortable. Too formal for us.

All we need are replacement cushions for both and we are in business again!!

• Angela Dickens
    2 years ago

YES! My husband and I bought Schnadig furniture in 1999. We bought a king sized bedroom set, which included 2 night stands, Armoire & a beautiful sleigh style bed with a leather headboard & footboard. We still have the king size bed, and the 2 nightstands. Its very good quality. You can jump on the bed and won’t hear a noise, we’ve had it for over 20 years. We’ve shopped & looked at other bedroom furniture and not too many can touch our Schnadig bedroom furniture. We also bought a sofa, chair with ottoman, coffee table and a end table, all Schnadig Brand. We no longer have the living room furniture. We lived in Southern California and the Schnadig furniture had that beautiful sunny California look. All the pieces were made of Rattan and was very strong & heavy. Loved the furniture!

• jp377
    last year

Eleven years ago we purchased a living room set by Schnadig and I can say that all the pieces gave served us well. We've updated our main living room furniture since then, but the pieces from our original set have gone on to live life in other part of our home (chair in the nursery, chaise in our landing, and sofa in the bonus room). I can say the quality has been phenomenal. You see other people with 2 year old sofas that are saggy while the cushions on my 11 year old sofa are still form and retain their shape. The furniture has gotten a lot of use through the years! I'd recommend.