Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Teflon Coating on Upholstery Fabric Change the Feel?

Posted by macinthevillage (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 16:00

I am recovering a large sofa with a premium fabric, and the manufacturer offers teflon coating as an option. The fabric swatch, however, is not available with the teflon, so I can't get a feel for it.

Does teflon coating change the feel of the fabric -- make it less soft and stiffer, for example?

Does teflon coating perform as advertised to prevent staining? (I have 2 large and active dogs -- they aren't allowed on the sofa, but they often brush against it.)

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Teflon Coating on Upholstery Fabric Change the Feel?

I assume this is Dupont Teflon and it doesnt change the feel of the fabric. The molecules and penetration is at a microfiber level. Natural fibers benefit more from this than synthetic fibers.

o

I would also say that most fabric treatments are designed to make the cleaning easier, not to "prevent stains." Unless that's what you mean by preventing stains, making the stain cleanable.

The principle is that they prevent stains bonding to fibers. There may be added advantage that water-based stains bead up on certain fabrics (surface tension), allowing you to blot up the liquid.

This will help with saliva, urine, or beverages but this may not do much for dog's body oils rubbing against the edges, for example.

o

Thank you both for your comments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here