Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Opening Breakfront Lock

Posted by bbtondo (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 14:56

I usually hang out in the kitchen forum. Was hoping that someone would be able to help me with my furniture problem.

I recently inherited a Statton Diningroom Breakfront that was purchased in 1955 by my Great Aunt. The glass doors of the breakfront have "key hole" locks that are in the locked position. I did not receive the key.

After searching the web, I think that it is a skeleton barrel keyed lock. I called Statton, and they were not able to help me. I am trying to avoid the cost of a locksmith ($90 just to walk into my home).

Does anyone have advice of how to unlock this breakfront? My DH and I tried to pick the lock with no success.

Thanks for any advice you could give!

Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Opening Breakfront Lock

It may or may not work, but Van Dyke's carries a sampler set of skeleton keys. If you have measurements and other critical information, you might be able to save money by ordering a few of the "usual suspects."

Here is a link that might be useful: Sampler skeleton key set.

o

Thanks so much for your helpful advice. I've ordered a sampler skeleton key set. Wish me luck!

Barb

o

Just wanted to followup. I received my sampler skeleton key set that I ordered online from Kennedy Hardware. One of the keys opened my breakfront! I am so happy!

Thanks again my everyone's advice.

Barb

o

Yippee!

Si finis bonus est, totum bonum erit.

o

I appreciate the good wishes. DH and I are still stunned that we found a key to open it. I think I'll go out and buy a lottery ticket today!

Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here