Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicoletouk

How is Room & Board's long distance customer service?

nicoletouk
12 years ago

There is a sofa that caught my eye on the Room & Board website, but they have no stores nearby. I will be able to "test-sit" the sofa soon, when I am in traveling in a city where they have a store, but I am concerned about how well they will handle customer service issues after I purchase.

Does any one have any experience with major purchases from Room & Board made on-line or by phone?

Nicole

Comments (2)

• pammyfay
    12 years ago

2 experiences with R&B customer service:

I was familiar with Room & Board when I lived in the Windy City; would wander the store thinking about what I wished I had instead of what I did have (and about how long I'd have to wait until my then-current bed had to be replaced!

When I moved to a city in the Mid-Atlantic, there wasn't a Room & Board close by. I drove to N.Y. to visit an ill friend and to go to the R&B there. Bought the Ella upholstered bed, a mattress, and an armoire (I pretty much knew from the catalog/online what I wanted).

Was delivered in good time, but the delivery boys didn't do a good job on 2 particulars: making sure the armoire doors were perfectly straight (there are tiny adjustable screws on the inside hinges), and drilling the holes in the botom of the bed frame for the small metal legs (they were just a "tad" crooked).

I waited a couple of weeks to see if I could "live" with how the bed legs looked (and I decided I couldn't, because they were in the sight-line every time I walked up the stairs to the bedroom). And I couldn't readjust the armoire doors myself.

I called R&B and within a very short time a repairperson called to make an appt to fix the 2 things. Customer service was polite and easy to deal with.

Fast-forward to last summer, when I had my bedroom repainted. I put sliders on the bed legs and under the armoire, and moved them out from against the walls to the best of my ability. There was plenty of room for the painters, and I told them that under no condition can they move the bed -- the room is carpeted and I knew they'd just try to slide it. Which they did, and I was PO'd. They dislocated some of the bed legs, and the screws were pulled out.

So this is going on a few years that I had made my purchase, and R&B said "no problem, we'll set up a repair appointment." No questions, no charge.

I have complete confidence in R&B. Now I keep wondering if my non-R&B sofa will ever "die"!

But you MUST test-sit the furniture -- you've got that right! Seat depth can vary widely and what fits one person's legs (the length between butt and the back of your knees, and how it feels sitting with your legs tucked under you) may not fit yours. Good luck!

• nicoletouk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pammyfay, I apologize for not thanking you for your feedback earlier. After a few days of no responses, I thought my thread was DOA.

It is great to hear about your good experience with R&B!! I am really interested in a couch they sell made by McCreary Modern, which seems to get mixed reviews. If the couch has quality issues, it is great to know R&B will stand behind it.

Thanks again, your feedback is invaluable!

Nicole