Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
add center support to antique full bed frame with blocks?

Posted by rigelcaj (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 14:34

Surely I'm not the first to have thought of this. I recently bought an antique full bed frame. I bought a mattress and box spring for it over the weekend and was advised that it needed center support. Is there any reason I can't just cut blocks of wood to tuck under (and, I suppose, screw to) the wood slats to accomplish that? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: add center support to antique full bed frame with blocks?

Yes, many beds come this way and I've had to add supports to those that don't. I typically use a 2x2, with a 5/16" hanger bolt in the top, nylon or felt glide on the bottom, and a T-nut set into the slat.

Here is a link that might be useful: How T-nuts work

o

Thanks. Never heard of a T-nut - cool. Dumb question though: why do I need a hanger bolt and a T-nut? Seems like one should suffice, no?

o

The "hanger bolt" is the threaded part -- wood screws on one end and machine screws on the other. Wood screws in the strut and machine screws in the T-nut.

You can get both of these at nearly any hardware store or big box.

o

Got it - thanks! I ended up without time to shop, so rummaged around the garage and built a truly redneck center support. It's missing only duct tape. Cut 2x4s into blocks, made 4 stacks of 5 blocks (1 stack per slat), ran a 1" board across the top of the stacks, and arranged so that each slat is supported in the center. Only had nails, so that's what I used. It's quite solid, but looks like something a 10 year old would make.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here