Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with cane weaving

Posted by jweaver64 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 13:57

My grandmother recently got 2 old rocking chairs, and she wants me to restore them for her. The seat and back are woven with bamboo in a herringbone pattern, and I'd like to keep it the same.
I know most of what I need to know to weave the seat and back, but I have a question: How do I attach 2 strips of bamboo together (end to end) to continue weaving when one piece runs out? I don't have the chairs with me to find out how it's done, and I'm just curious about how I would do it.
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with cane weaving

you don't attach them....you end one strip at the chair seat edge and begin with another, that's why you use pegs to hold the cane in the holes. When you are finished, you work all the ends in under the loops on the chair bottom.
Linda C

o

Thanks for the reply, I guess I should've specified.
The chairs aren't the ones with the octagonal holes, they look more like this:
http://ladycaner.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/080323-007.84183857_std.JPG
I have a book that shows how to do the former, as well as rush weaving, but it doesn't say anything about doing what's in the picture.

o

So how did we get from woven chairs to fishing fly rods?

o

It's called herringbone weaving. the link has directions.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Directions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here