Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to use interior designer

Posted by tanem (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 9, 09 at 13:11

We are building a new home and our architect is helping with the finishes. It's a minimalist style home and we are very happy withhow it's turing out. We will not to order quite a bit of furniture the beginning of the year. I would like to use an interior designer for furniture layout, design and color. Should I buy furniture through the designer? What are the advantages of doing so. My architect can have custom things made and will not charge us anything in doing so. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to use interior designer

It will depend on the designer you use. If you do not want to buy through the designer, then you will have to work that out ahead of time and pay a fee for the design work. Many designers make most of their money on commissions, but if you want the architect to contract custom furniture, then you may want an interior designer to design custom furniture for you, which I think is a good idea for the minimalist style. While I was trained as an interior designer, my current profession ( and for the past 19 years) is furniture designer, and I designed furniture for my own house as well.

Typically, the fabrics available to an interior designer will not be available for retail, and so you might want to order window treatments and upholstered furniture through the designer, to make sure that the colors coordinate and also to give yourself more choices.

I don't know what city you are in, and so I am not aware of what custom furniture shops are available to you, but an interior designer can order custom furniture from custom furniture companies, such as the one I work for now. Almost all of our clients are interior designers, although we do get a few architects, and on occasion we will sell to end users, but those are very special situations. If you want custom furniture, then I think it is best to buy through a designer. If you want to buy through your architect, then you should look at a portfolio of his previous work regarding custom furniture. In general, an interior designer will have much more experience with furniture than an architect.

o
RE: Best way to use interior designer

Thanks so much for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here