Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this couch leather?

Posted by a-simple-question (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 12:51

Hi. I am looking at this used Chateau D'ax couch and I can't figure out whether it's made of genuine leather. It looks and feels like leather, but pic of the label says it's polyester. What I can't figure out is if the label refers to the surface fabric of the couch or to the filling. PLEASE ADVISE!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this couch leather?

Here;s a pic of the couch itself.

o

This law label only refers what is inside the sofa, in other words the soft filling.
Leather has a suede backside.

o

Chateau D'Ax is leather, but I don't think it is high quality leather. Some of it may be bicast leather which is split hide that is essentially painted/embossed with a top coat that has polyurethane in it. It is an animal hide underneath, but heavily processed. You are not allowed to call this leather in some countries.

Or it could be corrected grain leather, which is inferior hides that are sanded and embossed and dyed.

It's not a full grain (the highest quality),

o
more...

A new full-sized Chateau D'Ax sofa at Raymour and Flannigan sells for $1100. One of them says Bicast in the description, the other says 100% leather. But they are the same price.

If it is indeed Bicast leather, yes in the US it is leather, in Canada it is "leather and polyurethane" and in some countries, no, it isn't leather.

Depending on how much they are asking and how well it seems to be holding up for it's age, when you examine it, it still could be a reasonable purchase.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here