Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapphire6917

A tale of two tables

sapphire6917
10 years ago

Hello,

I have two tables that are in extreme disrepair but I love the bases so I'd like to make them useful again. The problem is I am the least knowledgeable person you've never met when it comes to refinishing anything. I have a couple of people who are willing to work on them but I'm a little skittish about them causing irreparable damage. There doesn't appear to be much value in them but I still don't want them ruined (more than they are).

My questions are can these tables be saved and, if so, what do you recommend be done with them.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

• bullydosmom
    10 years ago

Well here goes. probably not what you want to hear.The round table is from what I see is veneered. The top veneer is long gone. if I see it correctly from the picture, leaves the top small wood pieces which is the secondery wood meant to be covered with the veneer.The sides look as if the veneer is chipped and lifting. One of the feet is chipped and the brass toe cover is missing.

The black table looks like its being held tight with wire. It also looks to have a veneer top which is mostly missing. It's probably from the 30's or 40's

. In my opinion your will spend much more than either of these piece are worth fixing them. They aren't good candidates for restoration unless they have great sentimental value and then they will never be worth what it would cost to restore them. They aren't antiques.

For what it's worth, I would clean them sand the tops smooth, pull off the rest of the veneer on the black one, and paint them! Go on Pinterest and search round painted tables, people have painted side tables like yours and they are lovely.

• sapphire6917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, bullydosmom! I was actually planning to paint the bases but I wasn't sure what to do with the tops. I'd like to keep the drawers on the drum table and find something that I can cut into the same shape to go on the base of the other table.

• freethinker99
    10 years ago

Sapphire you might at least want to get an estimate of how much it would be to rework the tables. For a woodworker it isn't that difficult to veneer the top of a table.

• expert_Irwin
    10 years ago

These can easily be restored to their beauty! In fact it would be a shame if you didn't. Look for restoration places near your home. They will be able to restore everything and get these beauties up and running again. (So to speak). Good luck!

• sapphire6917
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Freethinker99 and expert_Irwin!! It was my preference to have them back to as close to their original condition as possible but I suspected they might be too far gone, which is why I was planning to paint them.

I will check around for some furniture restoration places and see what they have to say.