Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Modular Office Desks (Pottery Barn?)

Posted by gashopper (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 11:57

Hi folks:

Following up on the "Don't make me buy Pottery Barn" thread, I am looking for decent quality modular office desks in a style that would fit a nice home w/ an older look to it (crown molding).

1) I don't want glass/metal desks that look too modern.
2) I want the pieces to fit into a small office as well as be easily moved through apartment doors (not too large to fit through a standard door and around hallway corners).
3) Modular, able to be expanded through the addition of various pieces (file cabinets, worksurfaces, etc.)

I really like the idea of the "Build Your Own - Bedford Home Office System Components" from Pottery Barn, as this set seems to meet the needs above. Also, I would think that the white version could be painted if any scratches occurred... However, I am worried that they're MDF and still pretty expensive:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p346/index.cfm

Does anyone have any suggestions on alternative products or recommendations/warnings/comments about this product?

Thank you all ~ Garden Web is awesome! :)

~ Emily

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Modular Office Desks (Pottery Barn?)

I am also looking for something similar for my home office, and a friend recommended Ballard Designs. I haven't decided exactly what to get yet, but I'm leaning toward that instead of pottery barn's Bedford line for a couple of reasons. One, they have a much larger selection of pieces (and you can pick exactly which types of drawers you want for a desk set up, whereas pottery barn doesn't let you do that). Another reason is that theirs is solid wood and pottery barn is not. I don't remember for sure, but I think the prices are pretty similar, or maybe a bit cheaper at Ballard Designs. Check out their web site, they have a downloadable brochure with all the dimensions and it makes it a little easier to visualize. They have a 15% off online coupon from time to time and if you sign up for their emails, they let you know when.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here