Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Campton Office armoire - possible to refinish? Or who is vendor?

Posted by dandylandy (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 11:13

Hi,

I have been hunting for a computer armoire that will hold files, a printer, large monitor, and a shredder (will put the shredder where the PC tower slot is, since I have an all in one desktop.)

Pottery Barn has a great option - I really like the layout and the size, and the price isn't too bad ($1619 on sale now, normally $1799.)

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/campton-office-armoire-ming-red/?pkey=cdesks-home-office

The problem is the color choices - they only have "ming red" or "desa mocha" (which is almost black) and both of those options are distressed.

I called them to see if the other colors (pictured only in the "wood swatch photo" are available but they are not and the rep could not tell me if they ever would be. It isn't clear to me why they even show the wood swatches.

In any case, I am hoping that someone here can tell me either:

1. Who manufactures this for Pottery Barn? If I knew the vendor, maybe I could find a similar computer armoire in a better color from a different retailer.

OR

2. How hard would it be to make this thing white?

The description says "Hand finished in lacquer that is distressed and weathered for a timeworn patina." f

Can that be sprayed over? Or sanded or liquid sander applied and then paint?

I really would like it in white. Also, would that look awful with the distressed finish.

Our furniture is modern and we have nothing else distressed.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Campton Smart Office computer armoire

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Campton Office armoire - possible to refinish? Or who is vend

This workspace solution begs the question; where do you put your feet?

o

Hi rmanbike, the keyboard tray pulls out, so your feet are under that - meaning, you are sitting about a foot away from the main unit, with the keyboard tray pulled out over your knees.

That may not be enough room for a tall person or a person who spends many hours at the desk, I agree, but for our purposes, it is fine.

Anyone know who might make this or if it can be successfully repainted?

o

Its possible but not a good idea, depending on the type of finish, NC Lacquer or a water-base polyurethane.
Actually best to ask this in the wood working forum, I think their are more experts their than can provide some help with about this.

o

Thanks, the woodworking forum did not even occur to me!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here