Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique kneehole desk, is it quality or junk?

Posted by nicole__ (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 10:01

Now please be brutally honest....I got this little desk FREE off CL. I originally intended to put it where no one could see it, in my sewing room. Yes, I'm in the process of refinishing it. It's a mahogany laminate, has solid brass hardware and I think it's just too cute to store it away. Maybe I could put it in the entryway? But is it just too much a piece of junk to display????? It's not "solid" mahogany. It's not an original 1710 Hepplewhite. Your opinions please....
Mahogany Desk 1940's

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique kneehole desk, is it quality or junk?

I think is will look great once it is fixed up.

o

Once refinished, that desk could have many lives. I's put it in my living room behind my sofa as a console. You walk behind my sofa to pass from my front door into other rooms, so it would work get to tuck you shoes under, put your purse/keys in a drawer, etc...

This piece of furniture has style and a story. Give it a chance!

o

It's an older mass-produced piece. Has several design shortcuts on it to make it look expensive, but its not. Clean it up with some BriWax, get some replacement hardware from Horton's Brass in CT, and have the drawer veneer repaired then it will be serviceable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here