Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hopefloats_gw

Help with Handcrafted Amish or Mennonite dining table

hopefloats
12 years ago

Please help. I'm searching on-line for a hard wood Amish made pedestal table and chairs for my kitchen. Has anyone ordered similar furniture online, and who should I purchase it from? There are websites galore.

Comments (6)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

I'd say order from a company near you so that shipping costs are minimized.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I second Luann's opinion. We purchased a kitchen pedestral table from Homestead Furniture in New Hope, Ohio. They were great and they do have a website, but I don't know if they ship. We picked our table up.

• hopefloats
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi! I'm glad someone else is looking for a similar table. I'm not able to purchase what I want close to me either. Am I crazy? I'm actually contemplating a trip to PA to look at a few pedestal styles, and wood species as I'm undecided about that too. I don't care for the grain pattern of oak, so I'm leaning more towards maple, brown maple or cherry. The stains will look different depending on the wood selected so I want to be sure. I am concerned about ordering sight unseen when it comes to the stain color.

I have seen plenty of Amish/Mennonite handcrafted furniture sites. Narrowing down to one or two I'd purchase from isn't easy when I have nothing to go on.

I'll check out the two sites mentioned above. Thank you for these replies.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention a couple of things. I went in with an inspiration picture of a pedestal table and they made it to my specifications, along with the size, wood type and stain. The Homestead Furniture I mentioned is hard to get ahold of. You have to email them. They don't have telephones in the store because they're Amish. Someone not Amish checks the email and returns the calls. I'm never really sure that the "Amish" furniture websites are all actually Amish.

• nancnh
    12 years ago

Try googling American Made Furniture: (your state). You'll find stores that sell Amish furniture and other American made furniture. I agree that the Amish are making lots of great quality furniture that's well priced and they're very flexible! We went into a local store, here in NH, with an idea of what we wanted for a tv stand and were able to order exactly what we wanted in the right type of wood, stain, size, and exact configuration!