Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stripping paint/primer

Posted by nosoccermom (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 9:21

Thinking about purchasing a table that the seller has primed, I'm wondering how realistic is it to attempt to strip the primer from the table top to return to the wood? Will it always have that primer/paint residue, or is it feasible to be able to get back to the wood grain? Of course, sanding is an option if I can make sure that I'm dealing with wood or a super thick veneer. I won't even attempt to tackle the legs.

Here is a link that might be useful: primed table

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stripping paint/primer

My god, that looks like my DR table and I can't imagine why anyone would want to paint it! Does it have a parquet top?

A few years ago I used this citrus product, and it seemed to remove all the paint from the grain. You might have to do a few more coats on the legs, but they shouldn't be any more of a problem than the rest of the table. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: furniture stripper

o

You can strip all the paint....with lots of work and a scrub brush and likely about $85 or more in stripper.....and untold hundreds of hours of your time.
But why? That's not an antique table, no matter what the ad says. It's at the oldest, a 1960 French Provincial "fruitwood" finish table.
Either leave it....or buy it and finish the paint job....and you don't even know if it's veneer (probably!) and unable to be sanded.

o

Yes, I took a pass on it because I can already envision how much work it would be with that orange stripper, then sanding, only to go right through the veneer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here