Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lennymm

Custom Size Mattress

lennym
12 years ago

We've just inherited an antique bed and need a non-standard size mattress, 42" wide. There are many companies on the net who offer non-standard sizes, but of course you can't try them out.

Has anyone had a successful experience ordering an odd size mattress?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

While I have not ordered custom from the Original Mattress Factory, I HAVE ordered standard sets from them.

Great quality at a good price.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom sizes

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    12 years ago

Lennym, most mattress companies can custom build a bed for you. It probably is to YOUR advantage to go to a store, lie down on a display model and then have one custom made of that model.

Buying touch sensitive items over the internet is hit and miss. Even with memory and latex foams there are variables. Dont let anyone tell you all 5lb foams feel the same.

My expertise is I have been doing this furniture thing for a living for almost a decade.

If this mattress is more for show than feel buy it from anyplace online you can get recomendations on and has a good BBB rating.

• chisue
    12 years ago

We've been buying Verlo mattresses all our married life -- 40+ years. They started in the Chicago area and have spread beyond Illinois. A friend had them make and ship a specialty size mattress to her brother in Hilo, Hawaii.

12 years ago

Verlo is a good old name in the mattress industry. In some sense they are competition to the company I work for. I must say Verlo seems plenty accessable for the average consumer. They also make good products.

As always I suggest you try the displays of their models first to find one which is firm or soft enough fo you.

12 years ago

Verlo is a good old name in the mattress industry. In some sense they are competition to the company I work for. I must say Verlo seems plenty accessable for the average consumer. They also make good products.

As always I suggest you try the displays of their models first to find one which is firm or soft enough fo you.

• lennym
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess I'm moving very slowly on this but. . .

Given the advice above I visited a number of mattress stores in the local area. Verlo has no distributor here.

The only brands that I can find that will supply a custom size are King Koil and Corsicana. Net reviews of these brands are spotty. They will make up a 42" King Koil for the price of a Queen size, which seems reasonable. The Corsicanas go for about 25% more.

Any comments on these brands, or good choices within?

Thanks.

• freethinker99
    12 years ago

Lennym usually you can find a custom size mattress if you go to a small impendent. Most cities will have a company or two that have a bedding store and make their own bedding. The large manufacturers for the most part are not set up to make custom sizes.

• maximus123
    12 years ago

yes verlo mattress is are very good , i bought one from them recently and it is good...

• orcasgramma
    12 years ago

I searched for 'mattress made for boat' and there were several hits. The first was: http://www.comfortcustombedding.com/

We have 5-inch thick foam mattresses on our boat - no springs - made by someone who sews for the boat market. We've slept on them for a couple of months for the past 5 or 6 summers and find them comfortable. Something like that might work for you - even though your needs are not boat driven. The mattresses are upholstered and look good when not being used as beds.

I hope you find what you want.