Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

What style table is this?

nosoccermom
11 years ago

Is this "revival" or potentially a 'real' farm table? Seller says it was bought at an antique store. She thinks it's solid oak or maple.

Here is a link that might be useful: solid wood table

Comments (9)

• Fori
    11 years ago

I think it's a plain old early 1900s kitchen/small dining table. 1920s-30s maybe? I don't know but I don't think it's new. I love those things. They're just classics, you know? I'd be surprised if it wasn't solid wood, but it's possible to have a nice veneer on top. Just find a nice knot or swirl on the top and see if you can find the other side on the bottom.

I don't think that particular style was "revivaled" (revived?) but it was probably a revival of something or other way back when. More refined than what is usually passed off as a farm table, but I'm sure farmers wouldn't appreciate that sort of comment. :)

• lindac
    11 years ago

It's not a real "old" farm table....they never had hidden leaves....the leaves came out.
    I grew up with a table just like that....think it was new in probably about 1935.....and I think my brother is still using it. Most likely it's solid maple....ours was.
    Linda C

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great, thanks so much for the quick feedback. Will look at it tonight. The size is 50 inches with two extensions of 21.5 inches each, so 93 inches when extended.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ugh, it was a no-go because my dining chairs are too big to fit two next to each other on the long unextended side.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The saga of my table continues. Here is another table. The seller states that the extension leave (inside) is a very different wood and does not match the rest of the table. He doesn't think the table is veneer. Any guesses?

Here is a link that might be useful: another table

• lindac
    11 years ago

Not "old"...much more formal than the other table...top could be solid....don't know....but perhaps it has been re finished and the leaves have not? Says it's 57 inches on the side....will your chairs fit?
    Don't know what style you are looking for...but a bedestal or even a dual pedestal table without much of an apron will likely work well for you....like an old oval drop leaf oak farm table.
    Like I've linked...but the linked one has no leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: table

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice. You're right that the second table probably won't work with my chairs.
    Found yet another table, which similar to the one you posted although it's too small for my dining area. The seller measured it incorrectly, and the extension leaf is broken. However, it could be cool for my breakfast area (unextended).

Here is a link that might be useful: old drop leaf table

• Fori
    11 years ago

I don't know really what you're after, but I'd check out this one: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/fuo/3229069021.html (I'd pass on the buffet cuz it's not my style.)

Although this is kinda cool.... http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/atq/3215687745.html

I've been looking for a used table to withstand kids better than my "nice" table and bigger than my kitchen table and I've really been all over the place in terms of table styles. I think I love tables!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm looking for a solid table, about 60 inches long that's extendable to about 7 feet or a little more. The apron must be so that a tall person doesn't bump his knees, and there needs to be space for two fairly large chairs on the long side, i.e. more than 50 inches. It should be rustic, so I don't freak out if someone adds a scratch.
    Here's an option, http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/fuo/3252611161.html
    What I really look for is something like the ones below without the price tag.

Here is a link that might be useful: dining tables