Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Best manufacturers of quality couches?

Trying to decide on a couch and I want to buy a quality piece that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions for what brands to look at, which to stay away from?

Thanks...

Comments (13)

• stevied
    12 years ago

Try

Hancock and Moore
    Leathercraft
    Bradington Young.

These are all made in the USA. If I were buying, I'd at least make sure I didn't buy a piece made int China.

• soleil65
    12 years ago

I recently sat on a Craftmaster sofa at a Thomasville store and was really impressed, and the price was really good. Very comfortable and it came with 5 pretty pillows too.

• MREDEKER
    12 years ago

Look at Smith Brothers made in Berne, Indiana

• Nikkikling
    12 years ago

I am in a search for best quality, durable, American made sofas to replace ours. I will avoid at any cost,
    lumpy cushions, uneven welts, or microfiber fabric. We live in Texas, and I've realized that some of the NC brands don't have retailers here. Of the transitional/contemporary brands that I have seen online, Rowe, Huntington House, Craftmaster, Sherrill, Vanguard, and Hancock & Moore, have all been recommended by the better furniture stores here. Bassett, Thomasville and Ethan Allen are also contenders but their process of customizing, etc. is all a bit complicated and I dare say overpriced. I look forward to finding the right furniture pieces from a company who stands behind their products!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

We bought our Palliser a few months ago and are quite happy with it. You can see it online or in person. We saw some in a showroom but were not told there were other options. We did see that the Palliser ones were well made and I liked the styles we saw but was not quite sure. We went to the mfr site to find out more about the company and get measurements to mock up in our space and then googled the style we liked best to get an idea about price. We were surprised at how reasonable it was online. So, we ordered online and could not be happier. HTH

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I highly recommend Bassett. The customizing isn't that complicated - you just need to find the right Design Consultant there to walk you through. I worked for them & they are an excellent company. Also Ethan Allen. I would stay away from Thomasville...the company is having lots of internal issues. Also consider La-Z-Boy & Flexsteel.

~Jeana

• pat1007
    12 years ago

I am very happy with the couch and chair and a half that I ordered from carolinachair.com.

Very well made. Good people to deal with.

• bluephi1914
    12 years ago

To avoid adding another "new post" I was also in the market for a quality sofa.... and found out the hard way that R.T.G is not the place to go and brands such as Ashley, Cindy Crawford, are not up to my quality standards.

Of the Above mentioned brands Masterfield, Braxton-Culler, Taylor King and the others.

How does Jetton or Dallas Furniture measure up?

I am looking for quality and COMFORT if possible. I do not want leather. Two Sofas or One Sectional is fine. From what I was told, Jetton would make a sectional for me for around the price of two sofas.

The Jetton I was looking at was around $1100 for the Sofa or $1999 for the Sectional Made to look like the sofa.

I am in Georgia (Atlanta)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• rfguerrero
    8 years ago

Crate and Barrel has the Best Sofa's at the best prices and currently is having there Annual Crate & Barrel Upholstery Sale. Crate and Barrel has the highest quality sofas, chairs, ottomans, furniture and there prices are not outrageous. They have a custom program also so if you don't see exactly what you are looking for , they can make it. Hundreds of really high quality fabrics as well. If you do not have a Crate and Barrel near you , you can call the 800 number from the website and order through there. You won't be disappointed !

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't know what happened, I'm usually pretty good about responding when I've started a thread. Thank you all for the suggestions. I will actually be helping a family member purchase a couch soon and this will help.

• peggross1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We have a Crate & Barrel sectional sofa, and while it is very comfy, the build quality is much less than furniture I've had custom made from an extremely reasonable company called Carolina Chair - http://www.carolinachair.com/. It's family owned and in my experience is really top-notch. Kathy and her brother are extremely pleasant to do business with.

I've had them make a large sleeper chair with my own fabric and they did little tweaks to their standard designs/sizes that you couldn't do with most of the big manufacturers. They've also made me one of their standard queen sleeper sofas with their fabric. We upgraded to their most comfy inflatable mattress for my son's room and his buddies love it when they sleep over. I've also bought one of their swivel-rocker chairs and matching storage ottoman cube. All are very well-made pieces of furniture in my opinion.

I highly recommend them. (Not sure if it is ok to plug a business like this, but it seems like the OP asked for sources. I have no connection with them other than being a satisfied, repeat customer.)

The reason I didn't have our sectional made by Carolina Chair is that they could not do any top-stitching on the sectional fabric, which is something I loved a LOT about the C & B sectional. The sectional is in a basement playroom with a tile floor and no carpeting. The sofa moves around very easily if a teen sort of falls into it, which they seem to do. I worry that the clips that hold the pieces together will snap one of these days. Anyway, I feel my Carolina Chair furniture is much heftier and one of their sectionals wouldn't move around on the tile floor as much as the C&B does.

BTW, our C&B sectional is also on sale - it's this one, and the fabric I love the look of is the charcoal with "contrast stitching."

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/lounge-slipcovered-3-piece-sectional-sofa/s485873

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you PeggRoss - I appreciate having that information. And I'll take a look at that sofa at Crate and Barrel. We aren't shopping quite yet, so I'll probably miss that sale. Custom furniture is something I hadn't considered and something I could do with the time we have available. I'll check them out, thanks.