Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best manufacturers of quality couches?

Posted by prairiemoon2 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 9, 11 at 3:02

Trying to decide on a couch and I want to buy a quality piece that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions for what brands to look at, which to stay away from?

Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best manufacturers of quality couches?

Try

Hancock and Moore
Leathercraft
Bradington Young.

These are all made in the USA. If I were buying, I'd at least make sure I didn't buy a piece made int China.

o

Masterfield, Braxton-Culler, and Taylor King all have solid wood frames and 8-way hand tied springs. I believe all three are made in NC. They vary in the options that are available, and TK is the higher end of the three.

To my mind, going above the prices in the range of these 3 (unless leather, which I've not researched at all but would clearly cost more) is unlikely to get any additional features that are worth the money. They're not going to clean themselves or move to a new location on command, etc.

Rowe makes their "higher end" line which is a step below these. It has 8-way tied springs, but it has plywood frames. I think that line is called Clayton Marcus, and at least some of those are made in VA.

I hope that gives you a starting point. I just got my new sofa a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. Of course, time will be the true test.

o

I recently sat on a Craftmaster sofa at a Thomasville store and was really impressed, and the price was really good. Very comfortable and it came with 5 pretty pillows too.

o

Look at Smith Brothers made in Berne, Indiana

o

I am in a search for best quality, durable, American made sofas to replace ours. I will avoid at any cost,
lumpy cushions, uneven welts, or microfiber fabric. We live in Texas, and I've realized that some of the NC brands don't have retailers here. Of the transitional/contemporary brands that I have seen online, Rowe, Huntington House, Craftmaster, Sherrill, Vanguard, and Hancock & Moore, have all been recommended by the better furniture stores here. Bassett, Thomasville and Ethan Allen are also contenders but their process of customizing, etc. is all a bit complicated and I dare say overpriced. I look forward to finding the right furniture pieces from a company who stands behind their products!

o

We bought our Palliser a few months ago and are quite happy with it. You can see it online or in person. We saw some in a showroom but were not told there were other options. We did see that the Palliser ones were well made and I liked the styles we saw but was not quite sure. We went to the mfr site to find out more about the company and get measurements to mock up in our space and then googled the style we liked best to get an idea about price. We were surprised at how reasonable it was online. So, we ordered online and could not be happier. HTH

o

I highly recommend Bassett. The customizing isn't that complicated - you just need to find the right Design Consultant there to walk you through. I worked for them & they are an excellent company. Also Ethan Allen. I would stay away from Thomasville...the company is having lots of internal issues. Also consider La-Z-Boy & Flexsteel.

~Jeana

o

I am very happy with the couch and chair and a half that I ordered from carolinachair.com.

Very well made. Good people to deal with.

o

To avoid adding another "new post" I was also in the market for a quality sofa.... and found out the hard way that R.T.G is not the place to go and brands such as Ashley, Cindy Crawford, are not up to my quality standards.

Of the Above mentioned brands Masterfield, Braxton-Culler, Taylor King and the others.

How does Jetton or Dallas Furniture measure up?

I am looking for quality and COMFORT if possible. I do not want leather. Two Sofas or One Sectional is fine. From what I was told, Jetton would make a sectional for me for around the price of two sofas.

The Jetton I was looking at was around $1100 for the Sofa or $1999 for the Sectional Made to look like the sofa.

I am in Georgia (Atlanta)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here