Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firsttimehomeownerca

Pottery Barn Harvest Dining Table

Has anyone had this dining table? I want to buy it however the Pottery Barn website has mixed reviews. People are complaining about the finish coming off, and I've noticed that comment on other Pottery Barn tables I'm looking at. I just have a hard time believing that it would be such an issue...If anyone has had this table, could you please let me know if you have or have not had this issue and also what color you have?

Thanks much!

Comments (3)

• mandomama
    13 years ago

I was in Pottery Barn on Saturday to pick up some curtains and noticed this table since it looks so much like one that we have. I have to say that I was not impressed with the quality. My husband and I found ours at an antique mall in KCMO, covered with knick-knacks. It was being used as a display table. It is an old, heart pine harvest table- I have no idea how old, maybe 75 years old? We got it for $250 in 1996. That was a lot for us-we were a young couple with 4 small kids and he was in med school (translation- no $$). That table has lasted through toddlers and teenagers. And it is as sturdy and beautiful as it was the day we got it. The finish is a bit more worn than it was 16 years ago, but the wear has only added to the look, not diminished it. I don't think the PB table will do the same. Most of the case goods and tables that I have seen look pretty shabby after a few years of normal wear and tear. Once the finish is knicked or scratched, you can see the material underneath is not the same as the veneer. A good, old harvest table is usually made out of solid wood planking. Any scratches become part of the patina.

Have you checked at any antique shops or malls where you live? I am a regular antique-r & there are lots of great looking harvest/primitive style tables out there for a good price that would be comparable if not much less expensive than what you'd pay at PB. You may have to search, but the quality is definitely worth it. You'll have an heirloom quality table that you can pass down when the time comes. My 20 year old has already got dibs on ours. :-)

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I was in Pottery Barn yesterday and was curious about that table as well. I think the quality of PB has changed because it didn't look so great. I would go along with Mandomama in what she said. I think I'm going to look into antique reproductions. Mostly what I find in my area of antiques are either really expensive or yardsale junk. Too bad about PB, it would be so much easier.

• Cruz Finefield
    3 years ago

saw one used for sale, and the finish is coming