Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this dry rot or pest infestation on my CL table? Please help!

Posted by cluelessinva (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 1:13

I have been searching for a distressed farm/trestle table on Craigslist for almost two years now. In my desperation, I barely looked at this Mexican trestle table before I bought it. When my husband brought it home the next day, I noticed it was a bit more "distressed" than I thought. It looks like something is eating away at it. What do you think it is? Is it something I can fix? How would I do it? Is it even worth it?

Thanks so much! Please excuse the mess on the table and the pictures--not sure I'm loading them correctly.
Photobucket
Photobucket
top of table
a href="http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk214/cluelessinva/trestle table/?action=view¤t=067.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this dry rot or pest infestation on my CL table? Please h

Well that one corner does look a little like a puppy chewed on it.
Looks to me like it's made with what they call wormy chestnut...
How long have you had it? Keep your eye on it and if there appears any little bits of saw dust or powdery stuff....then you need to get in inside a plastic tent and fumigate it. But the damage from powder post beetles doesn't look quite like that.
Linda C

o

The marks in the third pic down look like woodworm, but of the kind that is revealed after the wood is cut or sanded; woodworm prefer to work below the surface, and their entry point is small. When the wood is worked on, the burrows are brought to view.
The gnawed corner is another story, looks like a 4-legged critter.
Casey

o

Thanks so much! I was definitely thinking puppy when I saw the corner. How should I fix that? Should I sand it, and restain it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here