Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jl22_gw

Is this a quality sofa?

JL22
11 years ago

I'm considering getting the Doss Microfiber sofa from Macy's for our new house. I can't find any info about who makes it or quality of construction. The fabic feels much nicer and more durable than the other sofas at macy's, same for the qualify of the cushions.

link to Doss sofa: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/doss-living-room-furniture-sets-pieces?ID=252704

If this isn't a good choice, any recommendations on other places to look? I live in St. Louis so I don't have as many options that larger cities do.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Comments (14)

• jamespell
    11 years ago

I think you should buy futon sofa instead of this sofa. Doss sofa doesn't look good.

James

• JL22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not exactly the advice I was looking for.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Sorry, spam comes in all directions, this time from China.
    But getting back to your question. Its important to be able know who the manufacturer of furniture your purchasing because it should be considered an investment. Its just everyone has different levels they would consider as an investment. I would press the salesperson hard to provide in more details of the construction and materials used in manufacturing this exact sofa- sectional. Macy's normally will not divulge manufacturers info on many of their products. They feel you should just trust their brand. So if your comfortable with the quality of the sofa, service and warranty that Macy's provides and feel its your best option then it should be a easy buy. Just understand your paying extra for this when comparing apples to apples.

• JL22
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll see what I can get out of the sales person when we go back to Macy's this weekend, but it sounds like I shouldn't expect much.

"Just understand your paying extra for this when comparing apples to apples."

What exactly do you mean by this? That a comparable sofa will cost me more at Macy's when compared to a dedicated furniture store due to markup, or due to the warranty that I'll get through Macy's?

We're also planning on checking out Crate & Barrel and Ethan Allen. Good ideas? Lee Industries lists Crate & Barrel as a dealer and I've heard good things about Lee sofas. Don't know much about Ethan Allen though.

Thanks for the help.
    - Jason

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

In general a large outfit like Macy's will have a hefty markup but they also have a lot of buying power so to some extent one might negate the other.

I think rmanbike makes a few good points namely that if you are are comfortable with the product they carry and it seems well made and it's in your budget you might just consider it.

If I were you I would get some more information on how its made on the inside as that's what really counts. A sofa is more than just a pretty face.

• francypants
    11 years ago

I'd much rather buy a Lee sofa from Crate & Barrel than anything that Ethan Allen has made in the past few years.

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

If your a good negotiator, as its possible to bargain with local owned furniture store. Where at a corporate store like Macys your have to wait for a sale or other discounts.

• henryandhoney
    10 years ago

The Doss sofa is made by Modern Concepts. They also make sofas for Room and Board. I just asked my salesman at Macy's who makes it and he was very honest.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I would run not walk from anything with Ethan Allen's name on it. I ordered chairs for my breakfast room July 30th and I was told it would take no longer than six weeks. Well here we are the middle of October and still no chairs. I ordered a pair of Smith Brother's custom upholstered occasional chairs mid September and they are ready to be scheduled for delivery. I will NEVER buy anything from EA again. To add to the frustration the designer doesn't seem to want to be bothered to return an e-mail.

The Smith Brothers chairs were ordered with a top grade fabric and they were still less expensive than what was available through EA in a comparable style.

• PRO
    MDLN
    9 years ago

JL22 - did you end up getting it? If so, are you happy with it? Thank you.

• freethinker99
    9 years ago

I think as with any furniture purchase find out about how the furniture is constructed prior to make a decision.

• PRO
    MDLN
    8 years ago

dislike writing on old posts but.... Holly-Kay (hope you are still around) was considering OP's sofa, ended up getting a Smith Bros sofa and LOVE it. Great, great construction and very, very comfy.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

mdln, so glad you like it! I think that Smith Brothers is a fabulous buy. The fabric I chose for my chairs is a rather busy pattern and the upholstery job, in all regards, but particularly with matching pattern is flawless.

I'm anxious to get them back into my library where they belong. I temporarily put them in my office to save them from the kitties sharp little claws. We are putting interior French doors in that I can close to keep them out but we are still in the planning phase.