Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Never ending search for Manufacturer

Posted by andrewt2009 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 22:22

Hi,

I have been searching for over a year (on and off) for the best place to buy my furniture. I settled on Durham for my bedroom furniture because the price to quality ratio was just right.

I'm still searching for living and dining room furniture (primarily a leather sofa and square dining table) and despite months of searching, I'm not even close to a purchase. Just when I think I've possibly found what I'm looking for, I read on here that it is poor quality. I'm from England and knew very little before arriving in the US but it seams you have to be rich to buy attractive decent furniture.

I'm also struggling to determine what poor quality means. I'm not looking for a sofa that is going to last me for 20 years but I don't want it to be falling apart in 5 years time. When people define good quality furniture are they ruling out anything that doesn't still look perfect in 15, 20 years time?

I love the look of pottery barn furniture but every time I go the furniture seems to have scratches all over it. I'm presuming that because their furniture has a veneer I'm going to find it difficult to get the scratches out.

In an ideal world I would love the pottery barn look (aged but with clean lines,) but I would like it to last between 5 and 10 years. If it were a little more inexpensive than pottery barn also, that would be an added plus.

If any one could offer any advice I would hugely appreciate it. Please put me out of my misery.

Many thanks

Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Never ending search for Manufacturer

Thank you for the response. I took a look at the site and they certainly have a huge selection of sofas to choose from. Their other furniture was not really the style I like but since I live in San Diego, it's worth checking it out for the sofas.

Have you ever bought a sofa from them?

o

No one else?

I'm on the verge of buying a restoration hardware sofa for 2500 which I love. It's more than I wanted to spend but die to the lack of response I'm think there are not a lot of options.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

o

Have you tried Mitchell Gold, Rowe or Lee Industries? They have been known to make pieces for PB/CB/RH.
I've had a Crate and Barrel table for 8 year, and granted it's usually just me using it, it's helped up pretty nice for being a veneer.
I also have some pottery barn end tables, that have been barely used and they look awful, they got scratched from dust.

Trying searaching the board on here as well. Older posts may provide some insight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here