Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making swivel chairs swivel

Posted by Juxie (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 22:12

I just bought 4 fabulous mod swivel chairs from the 1970's on CL. Two of them swivel easily but the other two are really hard to move. I tried WD-40 and it hasn't done much. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making swivel chairs swivel

First thing to check is that the mounting bolts are secure and all the way in. Sometimes they work out and interfere with the rotation.

WD40 would not be my choice of lubricants, these things have grease in the ball bearings.

If all else fails, you can buy replacement swivels. After 40 years they could have worn out. Note there are at least 3 different types.
- free swiveling flat
- return to one location flat
- tilt

They also come in different sizes, one about 6" and another about 10"

One source with tutorials

another source

o

Thanks bobsmyunclue for all the info! The mounting bolts are secure. I got WD40 on the advice of the hardware store, I think because it has that little straw for application. Is there another grease I could spray in there without taking them apart? I don't think the swivels are worn out because they look almost new, and have been stored away in a basement.

o

Try white lithium grease. It comes in an aerosol with a tube. It's fairly thin, then the solvent evaporates and becomes a more viscous grease. It's not always what is in there now (but sometimes is), but should loosen up what you have. Liquid Wrench is one brand of this product.

o

Thanks! Will try it.

o

Also try vaseline

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here