Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on what to do with this desk!

Posted by todds_sweetpea (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 21:06

I got this beast of a beauty at a thrift store for a steal, and had my DH and his burliest friend move it to my in progress crafting space, which unfortunately is in the basement. (Afterwards they said it will die and be buried there because they are NEVER moving it out!) Its got great character, but I'm torn between wanting to paint/distress it (thinking Annue Sloan chalk paint in Old White or Paris Gray) to make it work better in my dark space, and not wanting to cover the beautiful woodwork. Sanding and restaining it is not an option, way too much work for this DIYer, and as previously mentioned, this piece is not moving.) any thoughts? What would you do with this piece?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on what to do with this desk!

What type of crafting do you do?

It's not in so bad a shape (judging from the photos) that a little clean up and touch up would not make it look acceptable.

If you do crafts with heat, solvents, or sharp tools, you could make a protective cover for it. A cabinet shop could make a slip over cover with MDF and Formica and this would be protective of the top surface. I have an old "battleship green" desk that I bought from the telephone company when they went modular. It came with a cover like this that must have been a renovation in years past. I painted the metal parts (to black), put it on casters and is now a combination work-table and tool & hardware chest.

o
RE: Need advice on what to do with this desk!

I'm with uncle Bob,clean it up and use it as is. I see nothing extordinary about the desk that makes it wothwhile to restore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here