Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenspuds

How to get a 'pillowtop' feeling on mattress?

gardenspuds
13 years ago

I purchased a "natural" component bed last year which has latex, wool and cotton.

Well, it hasn't softened up like the place we got it said it would, and it's too firm for me. I do like a firm bed, but with some cushion on top for my hips and shoulders.

Since we brought home the new bed, I've tried 3 different latex toppers, but haven't like them because of the "bouyant" feeling (I've tried 3 different densities).

I can't stand memory foam the couple of times I've slept at friend's house with meomory foam toppers.

I bought an eggcrate foam topper last week, and it still seems not quite comfortable.

The past couple of beds before this new one had "pillowtops" and I liked those, but they sagged too soon which is why I went with the latex/coil bed- supposedly it's supposed to last longer without sagging.

What are pillowtops constructed of, and how can I get close to that on my current bed? I looked around at a local store and saw a 2 1/2" thick fiberbed which felt nice to the touch- stuffed with polyfill. The one I looked at had a pretty dense feeling and had "squares" sewn through, like it wouldn't shift or collapse like a down fiberbed (I've slept on those in a couple of hotels and didn't find they provide much extra cushion).

At my wits end. Can't afford another bed right now, and sick of returning toppers...

Barbara