Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thomasville Furniture-Is ANYONE happy with theirs?

Posted by easttnsusan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 20:26

Hi everyone,

Just purchased a Thomasville leather sofa, loveseat, ottomans, plus a fabric recliner. None have been delivered yet, but the items looked/felt great in the store. But now I'm having buyer's remorse since I've read so many bad reviews of Thomasville furniture online. Wish I would have found this info before we bought. We got a good deal, but it's still a lot of money especially if the quality is crappy.

We were disappointed to learn that most Thomasville stuff is made in China, and the salesperson told us it would cost a LOT extra to order the same items made in the U.S. We asked him to figure out the difference, and it was over $3,000 extra. That was much more than we could afford, so we caved in and went with the Chinese-made stuff. And from what I've read, the majority of major companies have gone to Asian manufacturing.

Anyway, I would love to happily anticipate our new furniture. It's been about 25 years since we bought new stuff. But now I'm literally sick thinking we've made a terrible mistake and will have a living room full of expensive junk.

Is anyone out there happy with Thomasville stuff they've bought within the last five years or so?

Thanks,

ETS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thomasville Furniture-Is ANYONE happy with theirs?

Thats interesting that your salesperson told you this. What store did you buy from. Thomasville is a division of FBI. Much of their upholstery now is made in Lenoir NC plant, and a good deal of cut and sew comes from Mexico and upholstered in this plant. But still they production in China under their own supervision. Sorry to say its a lower quality product, but the price difference is not what the sales person is trying to sell you. The stores are independently owned and the stuff coming in from China they have a higher margin plus a greater upfront investment. So the push to sale the import line over domestic. If you paid by credit card, you could try and cancel the order and ask to reverse the charges.

o

I have a Thomasville cherry bedroom set from the mid 1950's that I love!!

But 13 years ago I ordered a sofa, loveseat and 2 ottomans Thomasville leather made in china ( I later discovered)!
The leather on the front was puckered and sloppily applied the cushions were crooked, there were puckers on the arms etc.
So I sent back all the pieces that had problems....think that left me with a loveseat, one ottoman and an extra cushion from the sofa.
The new sofa and ottomans and cushions came about 6 weeks later....puckered...back it went.....repeated a 3rd time....and on the 4th delivery....the trucker knocked on my door and said "maam....you might want to look at these pieces before we unload...I don't think you are going to like them." he was right....and back it all went!!!
Can't remember what I ended up with and am too lazy to look....but it cost $2,000 more....and has been worth every penny!
I hope Thomasville has regained their quality!
Linda C

o

We have had a thomasville dresser for about five years now. I just ordered two nightstands to go with it. The dresser is outstanding in all respects. I expect it to be around longer than me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here