Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
easttnsusan

Thomasville Furniture-Is ANYONE happy with theirs?

easttnsusan
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just purchased a Thomasville leather sofa, loveseat, ottomans, plus a fabric recliner. None have been delivered yet, but the items looked/felt great in the store. But now I'm having buyer's remorse since I've read so many bad reviews of Thomasville furniture online. Wish I would have found this info before we bought. We got a good deal, but it's still a lot of money especially if the quality is crappy.

We were disappointed to learn that most Thomasville stuff is made in China, and the salesperson told us it would cost a LOT extra to order the same items made in the U.S. We asked him to figure out the difference, and it was over $3,000 extra. That was much more than we could afford, so we caved in and went with the Chinese-made stuff. And from what I've read, the majority of major companies have gone to Asian manufacturing.

Anyway, I would love to happily anticipate our new furniture. It's been about 25 years since we bought new stuff. But now I'm literally sick thinking we've made a terrible mistake and will have a living room full of expensive junk.

Is anyone out there happy with Thomasville stuff they've bought within the last five years or so?

Thanks,

ETS

Comments (10)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

Thats interesting that your salesperson told you this. What store did you buy from. Thomasville is a division of FBI. Much of their upholstery now is made in Lenoir NC plant, and a good deal of cut and sew comes from Mexico and upholstered in this plant. But still they production in China under their own supervision. Sorry to say its a lower quality product, but the price difference is not what the sales person is trying to sell you. The stores are independently owned and the stuff coming in from China they have a higher margin plus a greater upfront investment. So the push to sale the import line over domestic. If you paid by credit card, you could try and cancel the order and ask to reverse the charges.

• jebtb
    11 years ago

We have had a thomasville dresser for about five years now. I just ordered two nightstands to go with it. The dresser is outstanding in all respects. I expect it to be around longer than me.

• 18thstreet
    6 years ago
    Easttnsusan,

Did you receive your furniture, and are you happy with the quality?

We too were going to purchase Thomasville, and are just now reading terrible reviews online.

Where would you have bought instead?

Thanks
  • suedonim75
    6 years ago

I hope she got it, since it's been 6 years.

• heidicarlough
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We were lied to by our salesperson and the store manager about our sofa, chair, and ottoman purchase. We specifically told them we were looking for a sofa with down in it. The store manager said it had 30% down. When I received my furniture 4 months later, I pulled the tag from underneath the sofa and the only down in the entire purchase was the throw pillows. We overpaid for a foam couch. I have contacted both the store where we made the purchase, plus Thomasville direct. Doubtful anything will be done. Needless to say, they have lost my business FOREVER!

• maria stout
    5 years ago

The store in Saratoga was closing so I bought a piece on sale, the dining table was ordered and I was surprised its says on the bottom MADE IN CHINA. I paid $2923 for the table which is not cheap. I wish I had read this reviews. I was under the impression the furniture was made in NC. In my opinion they should let the buyers know where the furniture is made. the website says NC

• Senoria Rogers
    5 years ago
    I have been a Thomasville Client for 25 years, I love the quality and their Style. I ‘m going through a difficult time right now, we were on vacation and returned home, a water pipe had broken in our newly remodeled kitchen, flooded our entire home with 3-4 inches of water. Thank God it wasn’t a fire or sewer, but clean water. We’re in the process of having fans and dehumidifiers running, to make a long story short, tables we purchased at another store, didn’t hold up, but our sofa, chairs, bedroom, furniture did! We should have stuck with Thomasville through out! Now we’re looking at tables that will be purchased from them. Check with sources some furniture is made in the USA, you just have to be willing to pay the price, a lot of Consumers want beautiful, extraordinary pieces, but don’t want to pay the price. I don’t mind because of quality construction and longevity. I will continue to shop Thomasville with all their Designer choices!
  • PRO
    Finn
    2 years ago

Thanks, all, for these comments. I am looking at a used Thomasville sofa online, and there is very little info about how it's made, content, etc. It's not local, so I can't look at it in advance. Of course it looks great in the photos--nice, solid, classic sofa. But there are no photos of tags or labels, and the price seems a little too good to be true. I've been looking for a used older sofa because I'm used to old (I mean, like over 50 years old! :-) ) furniture, and so my expectations of quality in terms of construction, materials, etc. is much higher than what I can actually afford new! But shopping online for used furniture is a challenge, to say the least.

• JANE JOHNSON
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I am extremely happy with my Thomasville sllid wopd bedroom collection bought almost 20 years ago from the Thomasville stofe in Jacksonville, FL. . I belive the voection was called Urban Loft or City Loft. Can't seem to find these on the internet as I would lile to find the large dresser thst went with it. I have 6 other pieces of the collevtion. Any help out there