Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

X-post - Leather sofa recliner questions

lascatx
11 years ago

DB and SIL called today, SIL was giggly, and said they found their furniture! I really ticked DB off when I said I thought the vinyl sides and back were not a good idea for them. They have a family room with windows across all of 2 walls and a window, short wall section and French doors on the third. The fourth side of the room is open to the adjoining room. DB thinks it doesn't matter because they keep the blinds closed most of the time, but I am concerned about potential color change, cracking and peeling -- especially since the fabric or leather is under a one year warranty on most of these. (DB said it had a 5 year warranty on everything, but I got online while we were on the phone and it was not -- ticked him off more).

I would appreciate any input or experiences (good or bad) with the vinyl sides and back on a sofa -- especially if you had them in a room with a lot of natural light. I'm really not wanting to make him angry -- just trying to make sure that someone else's money isn't burning a hole in their pocket so that they can't think straight (seems that way -- they had the first want to buy the first day they went looking and I've shot down 3 sets now). On the other hand, if I am over-thinking this, and they should be fine for the next 10 years, I'd like to know that too.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    11 years ago

I suggest to ask for actual samples of the leather and vinyl to compare the finish and backing on the vinyl. Also search for Naugahyde, the company that just about invented vinyl upholstery. Because the vinyl that will last should be of thickness and finish comparable to the leather.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

One thing to watch for is how the leather and vinyl are stitched together. If not properly done the stitching does not hold up. You are really better off purchasing all leather or all vinyl.

• CAgnew
    11 years ago

I am looking for leather sofas at the moment. I haven't even thought of looking for leather sofa recliners! How much more are they on average?