Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnaomi

Southern Furniture Co. or Southern Style Fine Furniture quality?

dnaomi
11 years ago

Is anyone here familiar with a manufacturer called "Southern Furniture Co." based in Conover, NC?

I saw a few of their sofas at the Southern Style Fine Furniture store at the Hickory Furniture Mart. I'm thinking of buying one from there or ordering one from a dealer, but can't find anything about the brand or quality online. They have a website, but not a lot of pics/info and most of the dealers near me don't carry their products anymore.

They seemed comfortable and well-made. Serpentine instead of 8-way springs, but the arms didn't give, they are pretty heavy, and the cushions don't sink in the middle/pop up at the ends like I found with comparable sofas from Mitchell Gold (the brand I was originally looking at).

Any advice about this brand is appreciated!

Comments (12)

• jessnest
    11 years ago

Did you ever buy the Southern Furniture sofa you considered? I, too, have found a sofa from them that I am interested in purchasing, however, I have had no luck finding reviews of their products. If you did purchase the sofa, would you mind giving me your thoughts on the quality? Thank you so much!

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Southern Furniture is a well established company that has been in business since the 30'or 40's and I think it is owned by the Bolick family. They make a well priced good product in the mid price range. Many of their employees have been their forever. The owners are nice people. I think they supply a lot of product to Overstock.

• jgdsss
    10 years ago

Did either of you purchase the southern furniture sofa? I have my eye on one and just emailed the mfg for construction information. If you didn't get one from them, what did you get instead? Thanks!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Just had a sofa delivered to my client from Southern Furniture Co. It's not Baker, but mid priced & delivery was very quick. They seem to produce a product that is no longer sold in the big box furniture stores, ....classic styles with attention to details at a reasonable price.

I'm not looking for seating that will last 30 years for clients, because the fabric will wear out long before that, and no one wants to pay the high cost to have something recovered.

• honeybasil
    10 years ago

I love that sofa, Beverly27! Where is this brand sold?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I have provided the link to Southern's website where you can enter your Zip code and find a dealer. I hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to dealer location

• Sharon Thomason
    9 years ago

I have a Southern Furniture chair that I love and bought many years ago. It's well made and made to last.

• PRO
    V-Dub Furniture Store In Arizona
    9 years ago

I love that sofa.They seem to produce a product that is no longer sold in the big box furniture stores,classic styles with attention to reasonable prices.

• Sharon Thomason
    9 years ago

I did see that Southern Furniture is sold at a small story
    near us. My chair has pink roses all over it here's a picture. I have my
    grandma's quilt on it and cover for the foot stool.

• beauxpa
    8 years ago

If you have the chance to buy one of their pieces, you should! I bought a sofa and loveseat at Macy's in 2002 made by Southern (for $1400 on clearance!!). It has lasted thru two little kids and all their friends as the primary family room set, two standard poodles, and two cats. Not only do we still have the set, the seat cushions are still completely puffy! We regularly remove the covers on the cushions and wash them (they are chenille) and they don't shrink, fade, and have just now developed a slight hole along a back seam.

While the set looks somewhat dated and I'd like to replace them, I just can't get past having to pay $4000 for a comparable set that will probably only hold up for two or three years. Ours are still insanely comfortable and a quality I haven't seen in modern furniture stores (Lee, Rowe, Restoration Hardware, etc).

Southern still makes the sofa set I have, only now it is upholstered in linen. My husband just said to buy from them again or have someone slipcover it in a heavy linen. I wish I could find a dealer by me in Florida! And trust me, I've tried.

• ann brigida
    2 years ago

Southern was bought by a Chinese company in 2019. :-(

• HU-671192332
    2 years ago

Ohh. That sucks!! I have a sofa and love seat that I bought from Haverty's approx. 25 yrs ago. It is a very well made sofa!!!. I think I paid about $2100 ro $2500 for the both. It's been reupholstered once, and the genteman said it is a very well made sofa and it's heavy, yet luxurious looking. I mean when you attemp to lift it from the side, it does not sway. I'm about to recover it again. I have no kids and for the last 17 years it has gotten very little wear due to the location it was placed and because of my poor selection of fabrice the last time.