Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this veneer? Can I fix/replace patches of it?

Posted by GCortez (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 18:38

Hi All,
I'm a total newb at this DIY business - but I found this great table for free on craigslist (which is where the picture is from, I can also add some of the sanded leaf). The family that owned it had kids who sure loved on this table but I figured a paint job would cover it all up.
After sanding the leaf that came with it I realized that I would rather stain it instead of painting it. I noticed some chipping on the edges and figured wood filler would work. Before trying it out I came online to do some research and now I'm more confused than I was before!!
So here are my questions:
Is this veneer? I've sanded away the glossy-ness =o) but as I mentioned above there is also a thin sheet of wood(?) that is chipping.
Should I just chip it all off and hope the underneath looks good enough to stain?
Will I be able to fill it with some wood filler and then stain it? Will the wood filler take the stain? (My research leads me to believe that no, it wont).
Would I be able to fix the chips with veneer edging tape? This is where I'm really confused and why my online research led me here.
Any information/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!
G

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this veneer? Can I fix/replace patches of it?

wood filler can work to fix chips, although you will have to color the wood filler with artist colors, and do a little faux finishing. You can fix the chips with veneer, you just need to find a match in grain and color.

If the chips are small I would just stain over, and finish

o
RE: Is this veneer? Can I fix/replace patches of it?

Thanks for the advice! I'm posting pictures of a few of the chips - just to give you a better picture of what I'm dealing with. Also, you can see the wood finish under the gloss that I sanded off.
Just to clarify - I should stain the whole table first and then go back and fill in the chips. Or sand, fill in chips, then condition and stain?
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here