Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcortez_gw

Is this veneer? Can I fix/replace patches of it?

GCortez
11 years ago

Hi All,

I'm a total newb at this DIY business - but I found this great table for free on craigslist (which is where the picture is from, I can also add some of the sanded leaf). The family that owned it had kids who sure loved on this table but I figured a paint job would cover it all up.

After sanding the leaf that came with it I realized that I would rather stain it instead of painting it. I noticed some chipping on the edges and figured wood filler would work. Before trying it out I came online to do some research and now I'm more confused than I was before!!

So here are my questions:

Is this veneer? I've sanded away the glossy-ness =o) but as I mentioned above there is also a thin sheet of wood(?) that is chipping.

Should I just chip it all off and hope the underneath looks good enough to stain?

Will I be able to fill it with some wood filler and then stain it? Will the wood filler take the stain? (My research leads me to believe that no, it wont).

Would I be able to fix the chips with veneer edging tape? This is where I'm really confused and why my online research led me here.

Any information/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

G

Comments (2)