Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leather Match vs Split

Posted by Futhark (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 18:14

Hi all,

Sorry if this is repeated. I tried finding a similar discussion earlier...but...

I understand what top-grain vs split vs leather match all are, but I am just trying to collect some opinions on these before I make a purchase. But I am new to actually buying leather furniture so I am just looking for some opinions.

At the moment, I am between an all split leather couch, or a top grain/leather match couch (match is vinyl). The whole cushions, back cushions and arms are top grain leather, the sides and back only is vinyl.

I am just wondering how peoples experiences with the leather match has been? Are you having any issues with the vinyl? Is it much better to buy the whole split leather couch instead for longevity/durability/feel?

Both due to different sales are near each other in price. The split leather couch is about 130 more than the top grain leather match couch.

Thanks for any insights.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leather Match vs Split

Split leather and by-cast leather is basically the same, the top coat is not that much different than a good quality vinyl. Just has a more leather hand feel to it than vinyl. Splits are much weaker compared to top grain, thus the need for the top coat.

Leather Match can be a problem because the aging process between vinyl and leather is different. The color / embossing / quality of both the leather and vinyl should be alike. The darker colors like black has better results compared to lighter colors. If all the parts are equal.

If the vinyl seems thin and soft, you should avoid. Naugahyde brand vinyl is a better vinyl to use in any leather match sofa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here