Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charri3

Casco Bay Furniture

charri3
14 years ago

Anyone have any experience with this company and their website cascobayfurniture.com? I am interested in their madison sofa (that is similar to the restoration hardware maxwell sofa), so if anyone has purchased it I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

Comments (36)

• moonlander
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Charri3 we purchased the Madison from Casco Bay Furniture. This sofa looks exactly like the one carried by RH. Same Leather. Same Comfort. Very good quality. We were very pleased with our purchase. The delivery was smooth. No issues whatsoever.

• pinkham
    14 years ago

We ordered the Manchester looks like the Lancaster from Restoration Hardware from CascoBayFurniture.com. The sofa is really nice, very comfortable and very well made. The sofa is in our family room where it is getting a lot of use. It seems incredibly sturdy and solid and seems to be holding up well to a big family with three kids and a dog. The salesperson was knowledgeable and returned our calls. We felt like we got a lot for our money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lancaster

• glenn215_2010
    13 years ago

i had just received my couch from Casco Bay. As a builder/designer, I'm pretty critical about what goes into my house, and this couch exceeded my expectations. Working with Robert was a pleasure, and no pressure at all. His attention to detail and follow-up was first-class from the swatches, design ideas and all the correspondence.

This couch was less than half the price of stores like Restoration Hardware/Pottery Barn and it's a custom job with many designs to choose from to a tremendous amount of fabric options.And...made in USA, not China!

I look forward to working with Robert again, as I have passed his info on to other designers and friends.

• chaoticnot
    13 years ago

Mikewill - can you post pictures and tell us how you are doing with your sofa from Casco Bay? Also, anyone have any experience with cocktail storage ottomans?

• kablam0r
    13 years ago

Any other feedback? My wife and I are looking at the Madison Leather an the Dexter special sofa from Casco Bay. My biggest concern is half the online comments seem to be spam from the company itself? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Bryan

• summerbreeze10
    13 years ago

Brian the comments posted are not from our staff. If you want to give call we could contact some of our customers and ask if they would be willing to discuss their purchase with you. We do know the names of some of the customers who posted their comments as they told us they were making these posts. The Craftmatic link and the Countertop links are not our customers. Thank you and feel free to call us if we can be of any further help. The Staff at Casco Bay.

• Tina30
    13 years ago

Purchasing a Manchester leather sofa and the matching chair was my first online shopping experience! I was a little nervous buying furniture by only seeing its picutre and by relying on the honesty of the salesperson.Robert was wonderful at explaining every little question that I had.Being courteous and professional,he always returned my calls and responded to my e-mails immediately.The furniture is exactly what Robert had described - high quality and excellent workmanship. Even though for a computer idiot,such as myself, going through registering online to make a comment,was not that easy,I wanted to do it, so that others would know that working with Robert was indeed a pleasure, and I will gladly use him again in the future.Thank you,Robert, for making my first online shopping experience a pleasant one!

• muskokalanes_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

We received our sofa and were so impressed with the quality and workmanship of it. The stripes on the fabric were matched perfectly and the slipcover was made with superior workmanship. Robert was great to do business with. He was very knowledgable about the products, was prompt in returning his calls, and informed the sofa would be ready in 4-6 weeks in which it was. We had the sofa shipped to Buffalo and Peace transport was most helpful and accomodating. They were vey careful in handling our piece. I would highly reccommend Casco Bay Furniture and will not hesitate in ordering from them again.

• jake5
    13 years ago

****************************************************************This post has a great nature to re-up every month or so. I give great credit to the company for posting the positive reviews. Look at the date of the sign-ups and the posting - same day. They also post elseware on the web as a RH knock-off. Come on Casco Bay cant we let this die?

• casefive
    13 years ago

VERY happy with the Manchester leather sofa.

My wife loved the RH Lancaster (pricey, made in China), and when I googled around I saw the Casco Bay was less expensive and made in the USA. Buying a sofa sight-unseen had me nervous, but I am very happy with the results.

Timeline:
    October 2010. Find and love the RH sofa collection, start checking online reviews and find the Manchester from Casco Bay described as a comparable option.

November 2010. Contact with Robert at Casco Bay, discussing shipping options and possible disassembly to accommodate a narrow hallway. We placed the order the second week of November. Robert estimated the turnaround time at ~1 month, pending delivery of the Brompton Cocoa leather to the manufacturer.

December 2010 (+1 month from ordering). Sofa delivery attempt #1, the narrow hallway had the delivery company concerned and they left without delivery. +2 days, delivery attempt #2 on a Saturday. Robert and the shipping company both were very helpful getting the final delivery logistics sorted.

I'm sitting on the sofa right now, and it's very nice. Good quality and has the feel of real "grown-up" furniture compared to the Ikea sleeperbed it's replacing. Definitely a sofa that we will have for a lifetime.

Robert pointed me to this forum and asked if I would mind posting my experience, and I was happy to (this is now showing up as one of the main hits when googling?). Robert has good relationships with his west coast shipping/delivery partners and was very helpful during the shopping phase of the process. He also recommended a furniture disassembly company in case we had to go that route (less common on the west coast, but apparently this is an everyday thing on the east coast).

Good luck with your furniture shopping,

-CaseFive

• espositojp
    13 years ago

I would just like to make a post regarding Casco Bay Furniture's quality. First of all the furniture is coming all the way from North Carolina and I live all the way in CALIFORNIA. As one can imagine, I took a bit of a risk purchasing my first item. I thought to myself, what if I am not happy and have to return the item? I could potentially be looking at a small fortune paying to return an item over 2,000 miles back to where it came from.

I've already purchased a Brompton Leather Couch and I followed up with a second order for a matching Brompton Leather Chair and a half. I LOVE BOTH ITEMS!!! The quality of the items is truly excellent and I've been extremely happy with both purchases. Robert Allen was extremely professional and knowledgable over the phone. He wasn't pushy at all and helped me make an informed decision, because at first I wasn't positive about which style leather or couch I wanted. I recently purchased my first home and so I am slowly in the process of home furnishing, but soon enough I plan on purchasing a 3rd item. If anyone would like, please feel free to send me an email with questions about my experience with Casco Bay Furniture. My email is esposito.jp@gmail.com.

sincerely,

James Esposito

• kbvintagedesigns_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I recently took delivery of a 9' Madison sofa in Brompton Cocoa leather that I ordered through Casco Bay Furniture and am extremely satisfied and pleased with the product! This sofa is very similar in style, quality and leather to the Maxwell sofa sold by Restoration Hardware...in fact, I can honestly say that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if they were sitting side by side.

I was reluctant to place an online order with a company that I had not ordered through before, and was concerned that I couldn't see the sofa and test it against the sample that I had sat on in the Restoration Hardware store. After looking at comments from other customers and talking with Robert from Casco Bay several times on the phone, I decided to place the order. Robert was very up front with me regarding the production schedule and potential delivery date and I received follow up emails that specifically outlined the billing process and warranty specifics. I ordered the sofa on 12/9/10 and took delivery on 2/15/11-well within the 12 week time frame that many companies set for custom furniture production. Once the sofa was completed, the delivery company called within 5 days and delivered the day after their phone call.

All in all, I am 100% satisfied with my new sofa and with the customer service that Casco Bay Furniture provided. Please feel free to email me at kbvintagedesigns@gmail.com with any questions.

Kathy Blakeley

• Debbiegard
    12 years ago

I just received my manchester coco brampton leather sofas both extra large and deep. They are awesome. We initially placed are order in Feb. and were a little nervous about purchasing sofas without first seeing them. Well there was nothing to be nervous about. We are from Southern Ontario, Canada, and decided to meet the transport company at the Niagara Falls customs(american side) the drivers took the sofas and put them into the UHAL we rented. The sofas were wrapped very well and we had no concern with damage. Any way I want to reassure anyone considering purchasing from Cascobay that you will not be disappointed!! Thanks Robert,
    Debbie Gard

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

I live on Casco Bay. It's in Maine. Why is a North Carolina company called Casco Bay Furniture?

• summerbreeze10
    12 years ago

Dear Stacey,

Our sales office is in Maine and our factory and factory showroom are located in North Carolina where some of the best furniture in the world is made. North Carolina also has a well developed furniture infrastructure including raw material suppliers, delivery companies and a highly skilled labor force. In building our furniture in North Carolina we get the highest quality product at the lowest possible price.

The Staff at Casco Bay

• DaveLaFrance
    12 years ago

I just received my 96"x46"x35" Madison Sofa in Brompton Leather. It's sick!! Very well made and the perfect, distressed looking leather. I dealt with a very nice guy named Rob and he was very patient with me and very easy to get a hold of. Originally, I was told that the sofa would take 10 weeks. I had an event that i wanted the sofa to be ready for, and the sofa was done in time in only 4 weeks. I also spoke with the shipping company who was very nice and moved things ahead for me.

Overall a great experience and an awesome sofa. Better then Restoration Hardware, cheaper and made in the USA, not China.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Dave

• eeyourfrnd_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

As all of the above posts state, my Casco Bay sofa is amazing!
    I too was a little nervous ordering sight unseen, but it was so easy to work with Robert & Kristina that I trusted that I would receive the product I hoped for. It was so comforting to be able to speak with not only a real person when ordering, but to speak with the same people to answer all my questions and concern. Their customer service is impeccable.
    I ordered my Manchester sofa in Brompton Cocoa leather in mid-April and it was delivered the first week in July. It was well worth the wait. The delivery men were even a day early, and were willing to wait to the original delivery date arranged if I was not available. Luckily I was, so they were able to get home a day earlier. I live in Illinois on a busy street, and they were at my house for approximately 10 minutes. They got right to work, were pleasant, polite, and professional. The sofa was well wrapped, and the delivery guys even let me keep the cover in case I ever have to move it again.
    The sofa itself is remarkable. It is impeccably sewn, richly colored, and incredibly comfortable. The cushions are supportive and still sink-in soft. I seriously considered sleeping on it instead of my bed the first night.
    I have already recommended Casco Bay Furniture to many of my friends, and I intend to order a fabric covered chair from them in the near future.
    I couldn't be more pleased.

• Keith22
    12 years ago

Hi Kristina & Rob,
    I just wanted to let you and everyone else at Casco Bay Furniture know what a pleasure it was to do business with your company. I am sitting on my brand new Brompton Cocoa leather couch as I type this and it is absolutely beautiful! We are thrilled with both the sofa and the love seat! Thank you.
    I also wanted to say how great the delivery guys, Richard and Leo, both were. They were so professional, considerate, courteous and just genuinely nice guys. They were both so personable and friendly. They even helped us move our old couches into the basement for us. Please pass along my sincere appreciation to both of them and to their supervisor.
    I will highly recommend Casco Bay Furniture to anyone in the market for new couches. These are seriously the nicest pieces of furniture I have EVER seen.
    Thank you again!

• harrysmom1
    12 years ago

Just received our Madison Sofa from Casco Bay. It is exquisite! Saved $1000 compared to RH. It is exactly the same sofa only higher quality and made in the USA. The workmaship is supberb. I couldn't be happier. The whole transaction was so smooth. The delivery co. was so careful and polite. I might add I am very picky and this exceeded my expectactions! Robert made this experience so easy. I will order other items.
    I have order other high end furniture from NC, but this was faster and much more reasonably priced.
    Please feel free to contact me @ harrysmom1@live.com

• Tracey4
    12 years ago

I recently purchased the Derry sofa with matching chair and ottoman. The leather swatches and nailhead samples gave you lots of options when choosing the final product. The saleman Robert was extremely helpful during every phase of the furniture selection and kept us updated throuough the whole purchase and delivery . The company manufactured the pieces quicker than their estimated timeline and the delivery company was exceptional. The furninture far excedes my expectation with comfort and appearance. It is absolutely gorgeous.

• Maria4400
    12 years ago

I just received my madison leather sectional and it is beautiful. It was everything Rob said it would be, and half the price of R.H.! The quality really exceeded my expectations. Rob was very patient with my many phone calls. Ordering sight unseen can be scary, but he made it easy. The delivery came almost two weeks earlier than we thought it would, and the delivery went smoothly. I have a very unusual driveway and the delivery people actually had to walk uphill some of the way carrying the sofa! Without a scratch! Wow! No tax, no delivery, no brainer!
    Maria, PA

• ambrosemah
    12 years ago

I ordered the Madison 126" right hand facing sofa chaise in Brompton Cocoa. It took almost 12 weeks to receive my sofa, but it was well worth the wait. It's the best quality sofa I've ever seen. It far exceeds similar looking sofas that I've seen in local stores...not to mention the price was almost half. It was very easy working with Rob and Kristina. They promptly returned every email..even on weekends. The movers were very professional. They showed up right on time, and had no issues getting the very large sofa into my basement. Be sure you measure all your doors and hallways, the Madison sofas are very large. Bottom line: I am extremely happy with this sofa.

• Cindy4569
    12 years ago

I had my furniture (Manchester sofa, 2 Boston chairs and 1 ottoman) from Casco Bay Furniture delivered almost 2 weeks ago and am so happy with it. It is everything that was promised on the website, and verified with many phone calls to Robert with my many questions. Customer service was outstanding, and the craftsmanship of the furniture is excellent. From website to delivery (kudos to Peace Transport- they too were so easy to work with, and receptive to my questions along with being flexible on day of delivery to allow for finished installation of carpet) this experience was easy. I would recommend this company completely. Thanks Robert, and the rest of the crew!

• mikewill
    12 years ago

As requested by 'ChaoticNot'...

Some basic pix are @the URL below.

Cheers,
    M.

Below is a link to some old pix (circa August 2010) tho' I dare say the sofa looks just as good today. Feel free to 'hit' me w/any Qs you may have.

Cheers,
    M.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my Brompton Cocoa Manchester Sofa

• christine25
    12 years ago

Thanks again Mike. Your pictures are beautiful. Happy New Year to you.

• katway
    11 years ago

Thus far, I've been very disappointed with CascoBay's delivery team (D&D Delivery). CascoBay finished making my furniture 5 weeks ago and the delivery service hasn't even started delivery of my goods. I live out west and they apparently need to wait until they have a truckload to even begin the trip. It appears that this can take months. I'd advise anyone out west to be prepared to wait or demand another delivery company upfront.

• summerbreeze10
    11 years ago

Dear Katway we are sorry that your delivery has taken longer than expected. We only use asset based carriers which means the delivery company uses their own trucks.

We use three delivery companies.

In general the two drivers load their own trucks and you order stays on that truck until it reaches your home. In this way the order has very little handling and less handling means there is less of a likelihood of damage. This type of delivery is a little slower but a private in home delivery service is the most expensive for a retailer to use and it is considered the gold standard in the industry.

Asset based carriers generally deliver our orders in a timely manner but summer in the furniture industry is a more difficult time to deliver. People are away on vacation and the furniture manufacturers all close for vacation in July. We are only one of several retailers that use these delivery companies and even with all their customers the delivery companies will not leave Thomasville, North Carolina, (the location of our three delivery companies) in spite of the pleas of their retailers, until the truck is full this is due to the high cost of transportation, trucks, fuel and drivers. The trucks delivering to the west coast are all tractor trailers.

We have been working on your delivery this morning prior to your posting and want to assure you that we are doing everything possible to speed your delivery along. According to the delivery company they plan to call of their customers for their next California truck by the end of this week and in fact have spoken with several this mornings.

You might find it interesting to read our two blogs on the subject. The address of our blog is posted on our web site. One is an interview with the routing manager of Peace Transport and we also have another blog entitled: What’s so hard about making a great furniture delivery.

Again our most sincere apologies for the delay any inconvenience this may have caused you. Please feel free to call us to discuss this further

• katway
    11 years ago

Furniture arrived today and we're thrilled. Absolutely beautiful, high quality, well constructed furniture made in the U.S.A. We went with the studio collection (similar to the old RH library collection) and love that the sofas are shapely, yet comfortable to sit in.

While delivery took a while due to the timing of our order, Casco Bay was very apologetic and made it right. Good customer service. The delivery guys were on time, pleasant, and professional. I will continue to look to Casco Bay for future furniture needs.

• e70x5
    11 years ago

2-25-13

This is a full disclosure review of my purchase of the Madison sofa (3 back cushions 96" w/ matching ottoman in Brompton cocoa) from Casco Bay :

Like many here, I was looking for a sofa comparable to Restoration Hardware. I did my research for 2 months on which company to go with. I've read soooo many good reviews on casco bay and their products and was finally sold on them. After another two weeks of measuring and re-reading reviews, I became nervous because of so many good reviews and ZERO bad reviews. I couldn't believe that a company that sells so many sofas had not one person complain. So after another two weeks of going back and forth with Robert (thanks for putting up with me) and reading testimonials, I pulled the trigger on the Madison 96" with ultracell cushions (def worth the upgrade) with matching ottoman. I went with the Brompton cocoa leather (in the pics they have a hint of burgundy to them, but it is in fact a nice brown color). I ordered the sofa on January 10th, I was told 8-10 weeks and the wait began. As I was waiting for my order to be completed, I still had a little doubt in the back of my mind that this was too good to be true. So back on the phone with Robert and I expressed to him my concerns of all the positive reviews and the fact that I thought they were generated by his company. Robert was such a professional throughout the whole ordeal (being in retail myself, I would have not been so patient). He sent me email addresses & phone numbers of prior customers, in which they sent me pics of the actual sofas in their homes. Now with these first hand testimonials and pics my mind was somewhat at ease but not 100%. As I was waiting for the pieces to be finished, in all honesty, I was expecting the worst and hoping for the best. I even contacted my credit card company in the event of the quality being poor or the piece not meeting my expectations. I also contacted the delivery agent (peace transports) to see what I can get out of them. They said they deliver a ton of these casco bay pieces and only ones to come back are the ones that don't fit. A few weeks go by and because of other pieces of furniture being deliver to my condo my mind is off of casco bay at the moment. Then a week ago (feb 16th) I get an email from Kristina saying my couch should be complete and ready for deliver. That's 6 weeks from when I ordered the sofa. I was so pumped up, I began calling the delivery agent for updates on when it was gonna be delivered. Lost a week due to the snow storm in the east. Finally, I get a call saying it was gonna be delivered Sunday morning (not many deliver on Sundays, didn't have to take a day off). I literally couldn't sleep Saturday nite, anticipating the delivery of my new couch bought sight un seen . . . Peace transport who casco bay uses is one of the best deliveries I've had. They came early the next morning and when we went to take it upstairs, the couch did not fit ! ! ! WTF, I thought. They were patient enough to wait for me to take the railings off in my condo stairway. I even borrowed the tools from them which they had on their truck. They were really good not to damage the sofa or the walls in my condo. Very professional and knowledgable people and great at what they do. I am now the proud new owner of a beautiful leather couch from casco bay. The couch construction and leather quality is way beyond what my expectations were. The fit and finish is exactly what you would expect from a custom piece but 100 times better. I can't thank Robert enough for a beautiful couch especially after all I put him through. I'm a very anal OCD person and everything he promised was delivered and more. . . I have attached a pic of the sofa in my condo. I also told Robert to feel free to give my email out to potential customers and if u have any doubt about their products, please feel free to contact me and I'll will answer any questions you have. Thanks again to casco bay and everyone involved in delivering a beautiful couch, they will be my go to company for any type of leather sofas ! ! !

Steve 2013
    -Phila Pa-

• Valana Kezhaya-Yiannios
    8 years ago

Does the Brompton leather feel still when you first receive the sofa? I went to RH to see what their leather felt like and the comparable leather they had almost felt like plastic, as it was really still and had a lot of wax (I'm assuming) on it. Please let me know your thoughts. I love the leather that feels like a nice glove, but also want a durable piece of furniture. Thanks!

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    8 years ago

Brompton leather has a stiff hand and a wax pull up surface. This is not the leather for you if you are looking for glove soft. Brompton will soften over time but it will never be glove soft. Some people fell the same way as you do about the plastic feel. Brompton leather is OK for water based spills but if you get an oil based spill on this leather you should blot it up right away so the oil does not soak into the hide otherwise you could have a oil spot. These hides are waxed on the surface which acts as a barrier from spills but with use the wax moves across the surface creating a more susceptible surface. This leather will change over time in both feel and appearance. As far as durability its in the eyes of the beholder. It will scratch and you can expect movement throughout your piece of furniture. It can make up beautifully but you must understand the characteristics of these hides which will give you a vintage/rustic motif.

• Valana Kezhaya-Yiannios
    8 years ago

Which leather would best suit me, in your opinion?

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    8 years ago

There are so many leathers with many different finishes. It is very hard for me to make a recommendation without knowing the style of furniture or how busy your home is and what degree of protection you are seeking. Is your concern the softness or the degree of protection or the color? Distressed leathers are very popular and you can get them with a much softer hand than Brompton offers. Aniline plus leathers are also in high demand. These are soft because they have been tumbled and a protection as been applied during tanning. Have a look at this article about distressed leathers I think it can be of some help to you.

• L Barrett
    7 years ago

My comment is a question. Anyone find the 29" or 32" H backs of sofas to be too short? So a 19' H seat level and with the casco bay sofas I am trying to size up, the Bristol and Brighton, that seems a terribly low back. Wonder if can be customized about 5" taller.

• PRO
    Casco Bay Furniture
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Dear 10tantoes. Your
    question is actually a very interesting one. The sofas you have mentioned are chesterfields. On our Blog
    we actually have an article that addresses this very question. The article is called
    The History of the Chesterfield ". It may be folklore but it is addressed in
    the blog “It is generally thought that the Fourth Earl of Chesterfield, Lord
    Philip Stanford, who lived from 1694 to 1773 and died at the age of 79,
    commissioned his furniture maker to build a leather sofa that would not
    wrinkle the clothes of a gentlemen sitting upright, but in comfort. To achieve
    this and at the instructions of the Earl of Chesterfield, the sofa was to be
    deeply tufted with a rolled arm and constructed so that the height of the back
    and arms were uniform.”

The two sofas you have commented on have arms that are 29”
    and 32” respectively so that in keeping with the classical design of the chesterfield
    if you were to raise the backs by 5” you would then have to raise the arms by 5”
    giving you 34” and 37” arms. We could probably do this at our factory in
    Taylorsville, NC but I suspect you might not like the look. The 37” armed
    Brighton would then become what is often referred to as a “shelter sofa”. If
    you would like to discuss this possibility please give us a call. As a custom
    order this would be a non-returnable item. In my opinion the 32” high Brighton already
    has a fairly high back for a chesterfield.