Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bedframe sturdy enough for king tempurpedic?

Posted by leslie2004 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 14:44

I don't know if a standard metal one is up to the task - this is a HEAVY mattress. Although that's what they show on the tempurpedic website so I guess they'd know.

We've had the tempurpedic mattress (king) and boxspring (2 twins) just sitting on the floor since we got it years ago. I wanted a completely sturdy base but thought a platform would take up too much room - the bedroom is small and the bed itself really is too big but I valued comfort over appearances.

So now I would like to get it up off the floor and am not sure of the best option. Is a king-sized metal frame that has a third rail up the middle and 2 additional feet on the center of the head and foot rails (but no foot in the center) going to be enough? Seems like it might sag in the center.

If that is an ok configuration are there any recommended brands or are they all more or less the same? Maybe the tempurpedic one would be of a good quality - don't know anything about them except for the mattress (which I love).

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bedframe sturdy enough for king tempurpedic?

Just buy a decent bed frame and you will be fine.

In our experience somehow memory foam sets are oh so SLIGHTLY harder on wooden beds. Any six or more leg metal frame should be fine.

BTW, make sure you get a king frame instead of two twins. King boxes like you own and king frames are longer than twins.

o
RE: Bedframe sturdy enough for king tempurpedic?

thanks --
I was also planning to come back to this post today to give my own answer to the question in case anyone was searching in the future.

We got the metal frame that Relax the Back sells with the tempurpedic mattresses. It seems plenty sturdy - not at all wobbly. It has 6 legs with one rail up the center (but obviously no center leg/foot which would've been nice).

I didn't realize about the difference in twin length vs the twins sized king pieces - I'm glad the store knew what we wanted/needed!

Boy, moving that mattress out of the way for them to set the frame up was WORK. My husband & I did it ourselves and it was pretty comical. After work the AC had just come on so the temp in the room was in the mid-80s. Maybe moving it on a very cold winter day after leaving the windows open makes it easier. It felt like a huge melted piece of lead taffy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here