Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudmommy

Need advice on sofa purchase

mudmommy
10 years ago

We have bought cheapish sofas in the past at low cost furniture stores such as Mor, and I really don't ever want to do that again. We bought a Stanton microfiber sofa that got about 5 years of wear before the fabric turned color, looked diseased and spotty, and parts of the frame started to collapse in (note: we are not heavy people!)

On the other hand, we cannot afford a $4,000 sofa, and we also have toddlers so need something durable. My husband is opposed to leather so that's not an option.

I was just told by a furniture saleswoman that the life expectancy of a sofa is 5 -7 years. Really? I hate that disposable mentality. I want something that will last if taken care of.

Unfortunately, we do have some competing needs (my desire for a lifetime sofa vs. the reality of having small toddlers in the house, for example). Perhaps I need to accept a "disposable" sofa for the next few years.

I saw a LaZBoy sofa that exemplifies the classic style I like. http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/7310-9002/ However, the reviews of LaZBoy are not very good these days.

Any advice to help me think through this decision would be very much appreciated. I need something durable, something classic, and under $1,500, which is our budget. Thanks!!

Comments (5)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

La-Z-Boy is not the same quality of years past.

I do not see you getting anything durable for $1500... sorry.

I would be so unhappy with a sofa lasting only 5 - 7 years!
    My family room one lasted for 19 years (with kids!) and the current one in there is 5 years and going strong.
    My living room one is well over a decade old and we expect it to last our lifetime.

• bobismyuncle
    10 years ago

Another option is to obtain a high-quality piece with good frame, springs, and padding and have it custom re-upholstered with your choice of fabric.

White it won't save much money over a "5-7 year" sofa, you'll get a much more comfortable and longer-lasting sofa.

• hounds_x_two
    10 years ago

My sofa is 30 years old! I did have it reupholstered about ten years ago. It looks great, is comfortable, and works well with my other furniture. I'll definitely re-upholster it (again) before I replace it. Granted, fabric and labor are not cheap.

My kids were 4 and 6 when I purchased it, and we have had dogs through the years. I didn't let the two-footed kids or the four-footed ones jump on it or spill on it, but it has been used. It has never been in one of those living rooms that is never occupied.

I have seen some fabulous sofas for reasonable prices at nice consignment shops. You might think about that possibility.

• User
    10 years ago

Even a 4K sofa isn't that well made anymore. But, if you get 15 years out of it, that's still cheaper than paying 1.5K for lesser quality every 5 years. The only way to get something decent for 1.5K is to find a CL bargain and learn to upholster yourself. Paying for a professional reupholstery job with good quality fabric will still likely cost more than your budget.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

My current living room furniture is 18 years old and is a comfortable as it ever was and is structurally in great shape but is really starting to look shabby. A quality piece can last a very long time. I would consider looking at Smith Brothers of Berne for quality at a reasonable price. It is the manufacturer that I am going with in my new living room makeover.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH