Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meljeanine

Solid Cherry dining room suggestions?

meljeanine
15 years ago

I have read all the interesting info on the site re:top furniture brands and how to recognize quality. I'm still uncertain of what I want to go with. I want new solid cherry, made in the usa, $10,000 budget for traditional dining room table and chairs. I had hoped to squeeze in an extra piece such as buffet or cabinet, but from what I read that may not be reasonable. I have looked at Stickley, but as I read I have become uncertain. PLEASE HELP THIS FURNITURE NOVICE.

Comments (24)

• john_wc
    15 years ago

I don't know the current status but Stickley is building a high-volume plant in Vietnam. Statton makes high quality furniture and still makes solid cherry furniture I believe and it is made in the USA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Statton Furniture

• denali2007
    15 years ago

My dining room set is from Colonial Furniture . I truly love this furniture . I never tire of it. Very well made too. I have the Monroe table, and Snyder breakfront with the Columbia credenza. I also got a pediment with mine but I don't see one listed anymore.Mine is 20 years old and went through 3 kids. It looks brand new. I always threaten to stop at the factory store on my to Bflo but never do.

Here is a link that might be useful: colonial furniture

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

Another place to consider:
    http://www.tomseelyfurniture.com/

Their "plant" is a large steel building a few dozen miles from my brother-in-law's home. I keep wanting to get a factory tour when we visit, but it always seems to be weekends and holidays when we're there. Located in the upper end of the Shenandoah Valley near the WV - VA line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tom Seely

• meljeanine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is interesting information John. I've been waiting to see who might go overseas next. I'm a global market person, but from what I understand, it's harder to monitor the quality of wood and craftmanship just like other products I suppose. I will definitely look at Statton. I've have researched it a bit, but not much. Does anyone have anything to say about Henkel Harris or Karges?

• mccall
    15 years ago

There is an excellent SMALL company that produces in Gardner MA and is sold by LaChance furniture in Gardner but I can't remember the name.
    If you live anywhere near MA LaChance is a great store and worth the trip.

• denali2007
    15 years ago

I also have 2 tables from Henkel Harris in my living room.I love it too. Great quality. Again it is 20 years old so I don't know if the quality has changed. I don't have Tom Seely but stores near here have it and it is also well made.

• deegw
    15 years ago

This company has beautiful traditional furniture and it is made in the USA. I'm not sure how far your budget will go.

Have you considered vintage or antique? Traditional cherry dining rooms are pretty easy to come by and you get a lot more for your dollar. I'd snoop around ebay and see if anything interests you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftique

• cuse69
    15 years ago

I happen to be visiting relatives in upstate N.Y. and had a chance to visit the Stickley factory in Manlius (outside Syracuse) this past weekend. All I can tell you is there were hundreds of cars in the lot and the factory was humming with activity (so obviously they are manufacturing product in the good old USA).

Another brand I am familiar with that is also made in upstate N.Y. that is excellant quality is Harden. Worth a look since they compare well with Stickley at about the same price point. Finally since I live in Northern Virginia I need to also mention Henkle Harris made in Virginia, also wonderful quality priced around the Stickley point.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and the results of your purchase.

Cuse69

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

We recently received three pieces of Stickley furniture...all made in the USA.

They are still making things here, but 10 grand doesn't go far there unless you get some great sales....

• oneplustwo
    15 years ago

"There is an excellent SMALL company that produces in Gardner MA and is sold by LaChance furniture in Gardner but I can't remember the name.
    If you live anywhere near MA LaChance is a great store and worth the trip."

Mccall, are you thinking of Nichols & Stone? They are closing, or just closed. And I believe they recently had been making some if not all of their product overseas. I like Nichols & Stone a lot, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as Henkel, Karges, etc.

• john_wc
    15 years ago

IMHO, Henkel Harris is the best furniture made today. It is made in one factory in Virginia and is a family business.

I have not seen Karges in a while but it has always been top quality furniture. I believe it makes French design furniture.

One more company to consider is Robert Bergelin. They make custom furniture. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bergelin

• cuse69
    15 years ago

We have a Henkel Harris dining table and china cabinet in crotch mahogany that is great quality and made in Virginia. We considered Stickley (we own a Stickley cherry double pedestal desk since 1992). We finally decided on the Henkel Harris because of the style and the wood choice. Either way you will be pleased

Cuse69

• mccall
    15 years ago

"There is an excellent SMALL company that produces in Gardner MA and is sold by LaChance furniture in Gardner but I can't remember the name.
    If you live anywhere near MA LaChance is a great store and worth the trip."
    Mccall, are you thinking of Nichols & Stone? They are closing, or just closed. And I believe they recently had been making some if not all of their product overseas. I like Nichols & Stone a lot, but I wouldn't put it in the same category as Henkel, Karges, etc.

No that is not the one. Still can't remember the name though.

• blondiel
    15 years ago

Check out this site. It is Henkel Harris, some new discontinued, and some preowned. www.gncantiques.com
    They appear very nice on the phone, so you may want to call to find out what they have in new stuff.
    I know that you said new cherry. If I had $10,000 for dining furniture, I would get as much Henkel Harris as I could get.LOL

• oneplustwo
    15 years ago

Is it Shaker Workshops? Chair City Wayside Furniture Co. (I think also known as Ralph Curcio & Co.)? I am having fun trying to figure out what company this could be.

• mccall
    15 years ago

I called LaChance furniture in Gardnere and it is Wachusett Woods. really beautiful stuff.

• oneplustwo
    15 years ago

Thanks for checking on the name. I hope to go check them out at LaChance at some point.

• iris16
    15 years ago

I have a Henkel Harris buffet in my dining room out of mahogany. It's the most beautiful peice of furniture I have. Also check out Gat Creek furniture. I have their solid cherry coffee table and end table in the family room.

• iris16
    15 years ago

This is the shop where I bought my solid cherry table.
    They have great prices.
    http://www.anniesfurniture.com/

• higgledy
    15 years ago

What about Harden? (made in NY state) We have a dining room suite made by Harden. It is nice quality. We bought it used from the the previous homeowner, we are very happy with it.

• mmckelvey
    15 years ago

Cork Cove Furniture does not sell chairs but their tables, chests, and servers are very well made and reasonably priced.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

Being a huge eBay fan, I just checked there for Henkel Harris. This set looks beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: chair and table set

• segbrown
    15 years ago

We are thrilled with our Statton d/r furniture. We bought from a North Carolina store, and spent $7,000 on our table and six chairs. We couldn't find the right cabinet from Statton, so we bought from Ethan Allen (about $3,000). So we were in there at about $10K.

{{gwi:1527222}}