Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaknakterry

Best Quality Leather Furniture

yaknakterry
14 years ago

I have two sets of leather furniture and have had both sets for approximately 15 years. One set ( the tag says it is Old Granite Leather Craftsmen) still looks great and the leather is wearing the way I would expect leather to wear. This set was more expensive than the other set which is Benchcraft and the Benchcraft is breaking down and the leather is about shot in certain sports, just rubbing off, not wearing like the other leather furniture. I have to replace my good leather set, as it is showing age, but not horribly, so I will be moving it downstairs, and getting rid of the Benchcraft furniture. Can anyone tell me what brand of leather furniture is similar to the quality of the Old Granite Leather. I have tried to do research, but it is hard to find anything about the Old Granite. I am beginning to wonder if it is Leather Craft? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• foxes_garden
    14 years ago

I had also heard that about Hancock and Moore. My local furniture store that tries to only stock American-made has stopped carrying them. This makes me very sad, since I liked a lot of their line. Anyone know if there is still some American-made subset of the H&M line?

• thecollector
    14 years ago

Sorry, you folks have some bad information. Hancock and Moore is 100 % American Made in Hickory, NC.

They have a Chinese import line named "Randall Allen" which is NOT American made.

All leather hides are imported for all leather makers, and therein may lie the confusion. There are no more American tanneries. Many 'crusts' come from the USA and are shipped to other countries for the tanning and finishing process, then returned to the USA as finished leathers. OSHA and the EPA have effectively closed all US tanneries (its a nasty, dirty business in a tannery). Some hides come from China, some from Germany, some from New Zealand, and some from Italy or South America. But they are all imported.

BTW, in my professional opinion, there are NO other makers doing the work to the level of Hancock and Moore. Classic Leather comes close.... If you see "Hancock and Moore" on the label, its made in Hickory NC.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Distinction is very good and made in NC.
    I added a link that ranks leather furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: manufactures quality ranking

• PRO
    iCustomSofa
    14 years ago

Leather quality varies from tannery to tannery, to country to country and even within the tannery itself. It starts first in choosing the hides that will be used for aniline dyed to pigmented leather. Also their are many different methods and chemicals used in the production of leather. Some good some you wouldnt want to have in your home. Basically its up to the manufacturer of the upholstery to have good quality control over their leather producers and have enough knowledge and care to determine if they are receiving better leathers. Leather upholstery should be considered an investment.
    BTW, hate to get picky, but H&M is located in Taylorsville, actually just inside the Alexander County line, across the Catawba river. On the otherside of the river is Hickory.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Choose the frame first. Pick one that is screwed and doweled. Glued and stapled frames don't last as long. Then pick a better grade of leather and get samples. Even "upgraded" leather varies in its processing and some scratch much easier than others. Down padding on top of the foam is often an option-but one I thought was unnecessary.

I've bought online from Wellingtons and was very satisfied. I've read other good reviews from those who bought from Boyles.

• ThornhillLouis
    12 years ago

Leather has always been a popular material option for covering a wide range of furniture pieces starting from bar tools, sofas, dining chair, recliner and other types of casual furniture. However, many variations of the material are now available in the market that are literally identical to leather but are actually not leather. This makes it difficult for people to point out the differences between the leather match and all leather furniture.