Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
restoring the gloss on a oak vineer table top

Posted by HKD10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 10:55

I have a very large dining room table with 3 leaves. The wood is birch but has oak vineer over the wood to give it the look of oak grain. On top of that it has a thick layer of polyurathene and over the years the poly has gotten dull with some scratches and stains. I have tried to clean it but cannot seem to get the gloss back that it had when purchased. What can I do to restore this gloss without having to sand this down as the vineer is very thin and would be easily ruined if sanded. Is there something that can go over the existing poly to bring back the gloss?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: restoring the gloss on a oak vineer table top

Are you absolutely sure that it's polyurethane? Poly is rarely used in production furniture, it's almost exclusively a DIY product. 99% of factory furniture is lacquered.

o
RE: restoring the gloss on a oak vineer table top

It's probably a "formica-like" top.
A good coat of paste wax would be the best thing to bring back the shine.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here