Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritholtz

Sofa / Rug material suggestions.

ritholtz
10 years ago

Hi,
We bought a 8' X 12' rug made from olefin material for dining area made by Orion. Room size is 9' X 13' and one side is open to Foyer. Dining table size is 42" X 70" without extension leaf.

Most of the forums are recommending wool rugs. We bought it from store without reading anything about rugs. Is it good idea to return and get wool rug to cover under dining table set.

Are there any side affects for using Olefin rugs considering it is a synthetic product. I am considering 8' X 10' wool rugs made by Thomasville. These wools rugs are more expensive than Olefin rug I bought.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is with Classic Antiquity olefin rug bought from cost co for $200.

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There is only 6" gap between wall and rug instead of minimum recommended space of 1'.

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic.

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am thinking of trying Thomasville 8' x 10' 100% wool rug for sams selling for $300. Price looks reasonable compared to other expensive wool rugs. Is it worth getting wool rugs considering they are natural. Please give me your suggestions.

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any one with wool / synthetic rugs in dining area, please give me your feedback.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Your current rug does look a bit too large for the area, though you do want to make sure all the chair legs fit on the rug.

The important factor is that YOU like the rug. Companies like Thomasville do not actually make rugs, they just purchase them and put their label on the rug. Have you checked Overstock.com for a wool rug. They often have great buys, and shipping might be free.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I don't think only a 6" space should be a deal-killer. Better too large than too small. If the wool rug is only $100 more, I'd get the wool. And get a pad to put under it. It protects the rug, and makes it look and feel better on the hardwood floor.

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi beverly27 and andee,
    Thanks for the feedback. 8' X 10' size rug might look better. 8' X 11' might be better in terms of fitting all the chair legs. I have one feet extra length. We do not have formal living space. This is the only formal space in the home.

I bought Thomasville $300 wool rug. I returned it without even trying. Rug is made from small ropes made from wool. I am able to pluck out each rope without much effort. wool is not attached properly to the back of the rug.

I will check it out other places for 8 x 10/11 size reasonably priced wool rug. Otherwise, I might end of keeping this rug and get a pad.

I am also thinking of going rug free. But, I will miss the contrast rug is giving to the room with my hardwood floor.

Thanks.