Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whatsyurprob

Old, Round Maple Table. Need advice, please. . .

whatsyurprob
13 years ago

This table was at a thrift store for $20.00. Someone sprayed it with green paint so amalgamation was out of the question. They used a natural color stain and I can see why. This thing was like painting on gold when I refinished it. Stunning to say the least. I never knew maple wood could look like this. Like polished jewelry. I guess it must be old to get this kind of patina. I wouldn't know though. It has a tag that says it was made by the Northwest Chair Co., who went out of business in the 50's. It's too bad about the original finish. The top coat was like an avocado green it was so old and oxidized. Yeah, , , old. But when I don't know.

Anyway, in the first photo there's a cig burn on the top about 1/4' deep.

Should I color putty it? It's the value, if any, I'm worried about. I scraped out all the char with a butter knife. Stayed inside the concave of it never touching the top. I put a natural stain on it and that's it. Don't want to lacquer it until I get this cig burn fixed, , , or should I leave it?

One more thing. What would anyone use a table like this for? I'm stumped. Sure is Beautiful, but I can't figure that one out.

Thanx.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Table

Comment (1)