Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marikop

Do you think 72' round top table is too large for a 12 x 14 room?

marikop
11 years ago

Hello.

I have an empty 12 x 14 dining room to fill in.

The room has 2 entries on the longer side so that you can walk straight through from the foyer to the kitchen.

I had a feeling for a large table top, so I was thinking of purchasing the largest size that could fit, 72" round top table. That should fit into the room, only leaving the 36" both ends for seating.

I have read some people said 60" table is appropriate for that kind of size room. But I felt that is a bit tight for 6 people seating with many plates on the table.

What do you think? I will appreciate to hear the opinion if anyone have the similar experience.

Only my husband and I live here and my entertainment level is not so frequent, 6 or 7 people once a month or so.

Comments (10)

• lindac
    11 years ago

Waaaay too big....I also think a 60 inch round would be too big.
    Seems to me that an oval or rectangular table would work better for your room.
    Another thing about a 72 inch round table....unless you are very tall it's very difficult to reach the middle to wipe it.
    A 60 inch table is commonly known as an "8 top" in restaurants....a 72 in round is a "10 top"....and your room is waaay too small for 10 chairs.

• marikop
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Lindac, for your comment.

To be honest, due to frequent moving for business we purposely did not buy real furniture, meaning I am inexperienced in furniture shopping. Now settling, I feel I'm lost with completely empty dining and formal living room. We are living off at the eat-in kitchen and family room.

About 2'-0" on the shorter side of the room is probably taken for traffic with the 2 entries both sides. So I am thinking of putting a narrow buffet or something there. So I still like the idea of having a round table. But I will definitely reconsider about the size.

• freethinker99
    11 years ago

Korim I agree with Lindac in that a rectangular table would work better and I actually think you could fit a larger rectangle in your space. You could also get a table with a leaf or two for company. Perhaps a 48 by 72 with one 18" leaf. Have 6 chairs at the table and two beside the buffet should you choose to buy one.

• marikop
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Freethinker99, I appreciate the actual dimensions you suggested. That is a big help for a beginner. I have not thought about the rectangular, but next time I go to a store, I will look into it. Thanks!!!

• marikop
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lindac,

Wow, you can fit so many things in your room! I am impressed! I was with you until 42x45 drop leaf table was introduced in your statement. I have a little hard time to imagine. But That sounds like definitely very efficient usage of space. A server table/buffet is another piece I would like to put in this room. So I want to leave some space at the traffic area in my case.

I am still looking. Thank you for your detailed information. Very helpful!!!

• lindac
    11 years ago

With the leaves down that table is only 20 by 42....the chest with the linens is about 14 inches deep.
    Think I am attaching a picture....not sure LOL!
    If it works I'll attach another.

• marikop
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lindac, Thanks for the pic! It looks very cute and comfortable. Yes, I now understand your opening to the adjacent room is larger, thus this room does look larger. I don't see it as 12x12.

Also, the natural light looks nice here. My dining room is facing to the north. Though one side is almost floor to ceiling large window, it is still darker.

Another question is the size of the chair. Generally, I don't like large bulky sized furniture that seemed to be made for 4000+ sqft. houses. Probably because I am a short person, so large everything does not fit my style. Anyway, the chair I was looking is 23.25" wide. I feel like bit wider and could look bigger than I want to. If it is not too much trouble, can you tell me the width of your chair? I like the proportion of your set.

Thanks!

• Toni Thomas
    6 years ago

I also have a 12x14 dining area and REALLY need/want a round table . We are 2 right now but with children stopping by often I want to get a 60 in to accommodate at least 5 at a time. Think I can make it work ? Comments please.

• lindac92
    6 years ago

At one time I had a 45 inch round table in the room pictures above....12 by 12. Lots of room...but could only seat 6 in a pinch. 60 inch is too big for your room....well maybe not fi you don't have any other furniture but chairs.
    At one time I had an oval 42 inch drop leaf table with 5 leaves that would open to seat 10 to 12 if some were kids at smaller chairs. For seating people, you need a table with "edge". people don't use the middle of that 60 inch table for eating, and an oval or rectangular table gets you more seating room for less space.