Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ring after Cleaning a Stain

Posted by betsyhac (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 9:59

Because I was in a hurry, I cleaned up a cat yack spot on my newly recovered couch cushion w/o checking fabric content first. Spot's gone, but now there's a big water ring. Fabric is 51% polyester, 30% rayon, 19% cotton and has an S cleaning code. Any advice as to what should I do or use now to get rid of it? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ring after Cleaning a Stain

If you used water to clean the stain, you set the ring. Its there to stay.

Cleaning cods "S" is dry cleaning fluids only. No water.

o

One can carefully water clean _most_ S coded fabrics. Rayon is often an exception and so is cotton. What you are seeing _may_ be simply a color shift in the spot area, or it could be that "yack" acids has bleached the color. The first thing I would have done was to clean "seam-to-seam" to avoid an obviously cleaned spot. At this point, you can't do much worse. Don't kick yourself too much because S cleaners would probably not have removed the cat yack. Thus les jeux sont fait at the moment of the yacking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleaning chenille

o

Thank you Bobsmyuncle for weighing in! (I've clipped several of your posts).
In further research, I've found suggestions for using rubbing alcohol and a blow dryer, and also for using baby wipes (assuming it's the alcohol again). What do you think?

o
RE: A Ring after Cleaning a Stain

By the way bobsmyuncle ... Je n'abandonnerai pas!!

o

First rule of solvents: Likes dissolve likes.

For water-based stains (food, beverage, etc.), water is best to clean. Technically, water, the universal solvent, is "polar" meaning it has a positive side and a negative side and attracts like material.

For greasy stains (ink, lipstick, motor oil, etc.), you need a hydrocarbon cleaner,. These are non-polar. Sometimes water and a surfactant (detergent) will do the job as the surfactant has a hydrophilic (water loving) side and a hydrophobic (water hating) side. Thus it bridges the gap.

Alcohols are very selective solvents. They work well for some things (think alcohol-based hair spray on fresh ink stains) and not at all for others. I don't know whether the yack is alcohol-soluble or not. I normally use a water-based enzyme cleaner for these. The enzyme breaks up the proteins. If needed, I'll follow up with an oxidizing organic stain remover (hydrogen peroxide and a catalyst).

Chemistry of cleaning.

[end of chemistry lesson]

Sometimes you just need to start gentle and kick it up a notch at a time until something works.

But for any stain that I've used water on, once I get the stain out, I clean "seam-to-seam" to avoid ringing stains or stains that are actually simply "clean spots."

o
heat

oh, and I would avoid extreme heat as it can set some stains.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here