Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drexel Heritage-Shield Topcoat-Question

Posted by beekeeperswife (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 6:50

I have found a Drexel Heritage dresser that would be perfect in my bedroom, except it is totally in the wrong finish. Immediately I figured I could stain/gel stain/ or even paint it. Well worth the trouble, the $2000 dresser is priced at $300.
However, I'm not sure if I can paint or stain it. The top is sort of "really smooth". I thought maybe I could sand it? Not sure.

So, I went on Drexel Heritage's website and saw that some of their furniture has a Shield Topcoat. I did a little further looking and this is how I see the topcoat described:

"DH Shield is an optional catalyzed lacquer topcoat which may be applied to the tops of
many Drexel Heritage products. This material will provide increased durability and enhanced protection on wood finish and nearly all painted tops against moisture, common household products, as well as most scratches and rub marks. Since only the top of the furniture will be re-coated with the hard topcoat there may be slight variation between the top and vertical surfaces of the furniture. Every effort will be made to match the original sheen of the furniture as closely as possible. While DH Shield is a very hard topcoat, it is important to remember proper care should still be taken to protect the surface of your furniture including the immediate removal of all spills."

This furniture is located at a Home Goods, so I can't really ask any questions, sort of on my own.

Anybody know anything about this? I appreciate all quick answers as this baby gets reduced in price this afternoon.

Thanks,
Bee

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to page 7, It's the Miranda Dresser (72

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drexel Heritage-Shield Topcoat-Question

If it's not too late, I'll try to answer your question. A catalyzed lacquer (not precatalyzed) is usually a factory applied finish because if it dries in your gun you'll never get the gun clean and to function properly. It is very hard and is difficult to remove, even with chemical stripper. If applied improperly it will sometimes craze.
This is a nice dresser and should not be refinished or painted unless by a professional. You could make it fit into you decor by using colored accessories.

o
RE: Drexel Heritage-Shield Topcoat-Question

Bee, that is a fab dresser. Wonder how it wound up at Homegoods? Never seen anything of that quality there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here