Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sinuous versus elastic webbing

Posted by sprlah (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 7, 09 at 2:14

After perusing this forum, I've learned a lot about furniture and am ready to make a sofa purchase. While I know that 8 way hand tied coiled is the best for cushions, it's just not in the price range at this stage in life. So I'm choosing between two sofas. The one that I like most uses an elastic webbing suspension whereas the one that I like a little less uses a sinuous springs system. The former is actually more expensive than the latter.

There really isn't much posted on elastic webbing technology versus coils or sinuous springs. The salesman insists that sinuous is better (which is the system used in the less expensive sofa). Anyone have any insight or advice? Would it be a poor decision to choose a sofa with the elastic webbing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sinuous versus elastic webbing

Their are other factors that besides just quality, why some manufacturers use elastic webbing, some because of a shallow design in the seat deck, others because the frames arent strong enough to support sinuous springs. Ask about the frame construction and warranty. Place your hand directly under the front of the seat cushion, this area should be very well padded, if you feel any part of the wood frame then the front edge of seat cushion will break down after not very much use.
If its well padded and soft and has a solid frame, if you like the style and sit of the elastic webbing you should be ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here