Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urgent Help !

Posted by das_max (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 22, 11 at 1:00

Hello guys.

I will be going to study to another country on the next couple of weeks, and so, I am very interested in selling all of my furniture. However, I don't have the slightest idea about the amount of money I could get for it.

I don't know much about the pieces I would like to sell, as they were inherited from my grandparents to my mother, and from my mother to me.

Here are the pictures:

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n605/Dylan_Steen/Furniture/

Thanks in advance,

Natascha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urgent Help !

I regularly review the furniture at an online auction for a local estate auction service.

Most of the furniture there seems to go for 10%-20% of new cost. It's rare for a piece (or set) to go above about $400. There are exceptions for very good condition antiques or pieces with collectible labels (e.g., original Stickley). Pieces in lesser condition or just not that good to begin with go for a few dollars sometimes.

It's sort of a shame. Some of it is just old furniture much of it "mid 20th century"(as you would expect from an estate. But a lot of it is very good condition and serviceable. It's also often much better constructed than stuff coming from offshore today. Even putting money into refinishing or reupholstering, as long as you like the style, I think it would be a good deal for someone.

When we auctioned off my parents' estate furniture, I found the same to be true. A few pieces got bid up, but most of it went for cheap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here