Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it worth it to recover chairs?

Posted by cherri (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 0:41

I live in the Midwest and have not priced out yet, but I have two Clayton Marcus wing chairs that I paid alot of money for, but need to up-date upholstery (moving into new home) I don't believe they will need anything other than fabric replacement. Is it worth it???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it worth it to recover chairs?

Hello, Cherri. I struggled with the same dilemma for the last year. We bought a couch over ten years ago--paid a lot of money for it but recently moved into a new home where the fabric no longer works--updating needed!! I finally decided that it was worth reupholstering. I love the shape and the body/frame of the couch is in excellent condition. If you love your chairs and can't seem to part with them, then I would go ahead and have them recovered. The cost for a beautiful couch is pushing $1600-$2000, so it seems. The cost to recover might run you $500-$800 depending on the fabric and other variables. Good luck!!

o

It seems from what I've read here that recovering is a pretty personal choice. Many people think that for the cost of doing extensive recovering (especially in an expensive fabric on a large piece like a long sofa), one can get at least a pretty good quality sofa.

Factors like whether the chairs are "heirlooms" or are just random pieces will impact this, as will your own personal taste for the pieces (not just the fabric.) You may find that a new fabric changes the character of your chair in an undesirable way; a good designer can help you with that.

From what you say, it seems that you're considering re-covering based only on decorative issues, not wear and tear or problems with the fabric like many people have. Re-covering a good 10-15 year old sofa can in some cases be a great idea; however, it seems slightly less plausible that recovering for only decorative purposes on two chairs would make sense.

Sorry if I do espouse my opinion a bit, but it's ultimately a very personal choice you're going to have to make. If it seems worth it to you as opposed to purchasing new, then by all means go for it!

o

If you like the shape and feel of the chairs go for it. I have 2 unique (at least now) 3/4 queen anne chairs. I bought them over 25 years ago for $200 each on sale. When I moved and had to buy a new couch for LR we had the 2 chairs rebuilt (so they could do double duty at my DR table) and recovered to coordinate. Total cost $250. I shopped for sale material and found a reasonable Upholsterer. We have moved several times since and now live in a house without a formal LR. I decided to use the chairs at my kitchen table paired with a window seat. Again I found material on sale at $5.00 a yard ($75.00) and it only cost me $300.00 to upholster both chairs. So for $375.00 I got 2 brand new chairs that will hopefully last another 25 years.

o

I am a fan of reupholstering pieces. I have the pleasure of working with a very fine upholsterer and he has taught me much about how to assess a piece. Most upholsterers will come to your home and assess the pieces. They will give you an honest opinion and you will have to make your decision based on that. Also, consider that if the webbing and springs are all in fine shape you may only have to pay for recovering... less work=less money. Even ripping down entirely and rewebbing/springing/batting was more affordable for us than purchasing commensurate quality "new". But we liked the lines and the pieces had a "history".

Generally speaking, if the piece was expensive and of good quality it's worth redoing, IF you still love the lines and it will work for you.

So much upholstered furniture is basically garbage... cheap framing, poor materials, built for the "hot" new trend in style and meant to be jettisoned when it goes "out of style".

Whatever you decide I hope you will update us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here