Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kmoth

Office chair on hardwood

kmoth
15 years ago

hi,

we are building a home and our office has hardwoood floors and I am just wondering if we need one of those plastic mats for an office chair. I believe most of the office chairs are on rollers. I don't particularly like the look of the plastic mats. If I want a decent chair, do I need to have rollers?

thanks

Comments (8)

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

Yes, I have the perfect solution without having to use one of those mats. We got special casters that do not hurt the floor. We had a new hardwood floor in our last house (Bruce engineered oak, gluedown on concrete) and we have a new hardwood floor in this house (site-finished hand-scraped oak, naildown on plywood over concrete). In both cases the casters have not laid a single mark on the floor, and I am a big girl. Before we replaced the hardwood (long story, different issue) in our last house, the original casters on my Bradington-Young chair had done damage to the hardwood.

Only drawback is that they are not brass, they are something like chrome. I figured I would have them brass plated, or do some kind of custom faux finish on them myself, but very honestly we put them on and I haven't noticed once the material. It is overpowered by the beautiful chair above it. And I'm picky.

Sorry I do not remember the name or number of these casters but if you contact Service Master and tell them the situation, they'll know.
    www.servicecaster.com
    Lee Kaspy (lkaspy@servicecaster.com) helped us. This was about three or four years ago, not sure if he is still there, but he was fabulous. The set of five casters was up around $100 maybe more maybe less, but completely worth it.

BTW, if you have hardwood glued on concrete, apparently you shouldn't put a vinyl mat over it because it traps the moisture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Service Caster

• bobismyuncle
    15 years ago

Same problem, same results with a client of mine. They had a dozen office/conference room chairs marking their brand new floor and I used Service Caster to replace all the casters with softer wheels.

Look for "Shepherd" manufacturer for hooded casters.

• kmoth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your responses. So just to be clear, casters are actually softer wheels? Do any office chairs come without rollers and then I could put something under the legs of the chair (felt pads) Or is that not practical?
    thank you in advance. I am not sure I like the wheels but perhaps that is reality when it comes to office chairs.
    A much better solution than the plastic mat though!!

• suero
    15 years ago

You want to get soft casters if you are going to use the chair on a hard surface. If you were to use the chair on a carpeted surface, you would want to get hard casters.

• usframe
    12 years ago

This post had the info I was looking for. My hardwood floor was being ruined by indentations from an office chair. I got the phone number for www.servicecaster.com as suggested in an earlier post. That fellow Lee was there, but busy. I spoke to Luis(sp)and he was great! Fixed me up some soft tech neoprene wheels. Now, I am quietly gliding around the office, and not damaging the floors. BTW, can you believe that!? they actually answer the phone and provide customer service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Service Caster

• homerpyle112766
    12 years ago

Great Post!! and thaks to all for the info!! I just had Brazilian hardwood floors put in on all floors of our home. Problem was the casters were indenting and scratching up the floors badly. We Contacted Ronnie Manz @ Service Caster Corporation. He was so helpful and informative. He knows his casters and wheels and is an expert. Talking to Ronnie Manz this company stocks & builds over 40,000 different casters & wheels. This is the place to go for any casters & wheels. Ronnie promptly shipped several diffent types of casters for various types of furniture we have and Wow! Service Casters softtech and neoprene casters are amazing! We are now going to put many other furniture items on Their casters & Wheels with wheel brakes to ensure the furniture legs without casters will not slid and scratch our floors.

Here is a link to Service Caster Corporation www.servicecaster.com their phone# 1-800-215-8220 ask for Ronnie Manz he will guide you right where & what you need quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Service Caster Corporation

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

I'm still having good service from Service Caster. The company that I did the work for on the above post called me last month to do another 8 office chairs.

An email inquiry almost always results in a follow-up service call.

Good people to deal with.

(Disclaimer: No association other than a customer)

• Carol Annie
    8 years ago

Any suggestions on how to repair the damaged floor without doing the entire floor?