Return to the Furniture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

dresser with drop down drawer

Posted by soonermom (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 23:48

I recently purchased a dresser where the top drawers don't pull out but the front drops down. My question is there a name for this style of dresser? It would work great as an entertainment center but it is old so I wasn't sure what the style was originally called. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: dresser with drop down drawer

I have heard it called a gentlemen's chest, and the top that drops down could be used as a standing desk. Usually this is fitted inside with smaller drawers.

If it is not like this and the drop front is deeper and the space inside larger it may have been a liquor cabinet or dry bar.

RE: dresser with drop down drawer

Thanks! That helps a lot!!

RE: dresser with drop down drawer

See also "butler's desk".

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Furniture Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here